Teriyaki Fujiwara Nakiri, Maboroshi or Nashiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeman

Reaction score
What are the differences between the two TF series Nakiri's? I know they both use the same high heat treated W#1 steel and visually the Maboroshi has a hammered finish and a finger cut out on the blade. Is the price difference worth it compared to the Nashiji version? I have heard that there have been some finish and inconsistent grind issues on the lower priced Nashiji's. Do you get a better quality blade purchasing the Maboroshi. I am looking at the 165 Nakiri. Thanks Bill B

Some people love these knives. They all have potential to come with poor grind and fit and finish issues. Why TF with all the great knives on the market?

Both Maboroshi no Meito and Nashiji lines tend to be wonky and inconsistent. The Nashiji will tend to be a bit thinner and may be easier to work with, but the Maboroshi no Meito has more material to grind away if you want to fix it.

I agree that it wouldn't be a top pick among nakiri for me, though I have a nashiji that is being cleaned up a little (a lot). There's some real hype to his treatment of white #1 but everything else has potential to be problematic.

There's some real hype to his treatment of white #1 but everything else has potential to be problematic.

I like the look of the Maboroshi, but otherwise agree. The edge on my gyuto is great and that part of the blade at least is easy to sharpen. The rest is wavy, but as X said you can smooth that out - ie. thin it and make the grind consistent. Oh, of course the hammer dimples contribute to some nice food release too.

I have 3 Fujiwara knives so far, all Maboroshi with Wa handles. Each is well finished and I can find nothing to complain about. Choils and spines are rounded and OOTB edges are impressive.

Johnstoc was kind enough to sell me a 210 Gyuto new in the box and it is a go-to for me in most situations at home. It has the "ting" sound and feel that I like. Very nimble and well worth its price in my opinion.

I have not experienced the Nashiji finish blades first hand. My understanding is that they cost less and that some of the finish work present in the Maboroshi line is omitted. I can't say with any certainty though having focused on the Maboroshi knives only.

For what it is worth, I have no regrets. If you're located in CT, you're welcome to stop by and put my Nakiri through its paces. Good luck

My Maboroshis were spot on but my Nashiji needed quite a bit of work. F&F will be rustic but it does not bother me

Thanks for the wide range of responses. I have a Takeda 180 and a Kono Fujiyama w#1, 170 Nakiri that are very different in their look and finish and are exceptional performing . I am looking for another First class nakiri and it sounds like the TF's (got to love spelling auto correct )can be pretty inconsistent . So what are some other suggestions for a great Nakiri to compliment the 2 that I am currently using ?

Watanabe or Carter would be at the top of my list...

This keeps coming up here. I have three TF Nasijij — a 210 and 240 gyuto and a 150 petty. They are as well finished as any of the rustic style knives I own, and show none of the defects mentioned above.

I find them to be excellent performers, and great pleasure to sharpen.

Additionally, reviews on the forum sponsored by the retailer where I purchased these knives are effusive in their praise.

All this said, I am aware that there is a certain amount of quality expectation demanded by US retailers, that might get missed in a factory direct purchase. Some Japanese knife makers have to make these knives to a higher standard, or face lost business.

If that is the case here, those experiencing poor quality should make it clear that the knife they purchased came direct from the factory...

JKI used to carry these knives but doesn't anymore--maybe you should ask him why. The retailer you mentioned I'm guessing is the one I don't trust...or anything that gets posted on his sites...just my opinion...

Jon and I have talked a bit about these from the perspective of out-of-box products and as project knives.

I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things, but my Fujiwara knives were among my worst Japanese knives in terms of grind consistency. It is one thing to ignore the flaws and instead focus on performance (my Fujiwara knives were middling and could be excellent if modified, but the inconsistency and cladding make modification troublesome), and another thing to pretend that the flaws are not there or only apply to those who buy direct from the maker.

In hindsight, I would happily choose a Wakui Toshihiro nakiri, either with his branding (sold as Wakui or as Yamawaku) or as an OEM, over the Fujiwara options. Yoshikane, Watanabe, Shigefusa, and others are all within reach and are all a fair bit better.

All mine were bought direct (x4), only the Nashiji had to be reworked. The Maboroshis had none of the issues usually reported and are actually Stellar performers.

JKI used to carry these knives but doesn't anymore--maybe you should ask him why. The retailer you mentioned I'm guessing is the one I don't trust...or anything that gets posted on his sites...just my opinion...

JKI used to carry a lot of other knives as well, including many they still list 😤

All mine were bought direct (x4), only the Nashiji had to be reworked. The Maboroshis had none of the issues usually reported and are actually Stellar performers.

+1
2 of my 3 were direct and both are excellent. If the OP wants to buy my Nakiri (still with factory edge) he is welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to place another order with Fujiwara-san.

On the topic of other alternatives, I love my Watanabe Nakiri. Pro series Kurouchi. It was relatively inexpensive and the edge is wicked. I have been maintaining it with a felt strop and after a fair amount of use, it is still looking new.

As we are on alternatives you can find Maboroshi type tsuchime (hammered) blades from other makers: Yoshikane, Kurosaki, Anryu, Kumagoro...

+1
2 of my 3 were direct and both are excellent. If the OP wants to buy my Nakiri (still with factory edge) he is welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to place another order with Fujiwara-san.

On the topic of other alternatives, I love my Watanabe Nakiri. Pro series Kurouchi. It was relatively inexpensive and the edge is wicked. I have been maintaining it with a felt strop and after a fair amount of use, it is still looking new.

Thanks Drawman I have checkout the Watanabe Pro Nakiri and it looks like a contender, especially with the longer 180 mm blade length and ht @ 56 mm according to his website. I prefer longer bladed Nakiri 's similar to my current Takeda and Kono Fujiyama. Are the Watanabe's only sold direct or does he have dealers? I did not find any dealers when I searched. From the responses the TF Maboroshi is the better choice of the T Fujiwara series regarding quality. Still looking! Bill B

You can only buy Watanabe direct, but his communication is very good and he delivers very quickly on product.

Latest posts

Back