My Thick Blade Cuts Much More Nicely Than the Thin One

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDinken

Reaction score
This is not really a question, but more to see how many people echo this experience. I recently acquired a Masakage Shimo Sujihiki and I have had 10" ZKramer Essential for about 3 months. I touched up the ZKramer on 3000 Chosera a few times and the Shimo still has the original edge. Both can slice through a folded piece of magazine paper easily.
From looking at them, the Shimo is about 1.5x thicker at the spine than the ZKramer. However, I have a much tougher time cutting with the ZKramer. Vegetable just like to stick to the ZKramer because it has a fairly flat grind and a very smooth polish, whereas the rough damacus cladding and the convex grind the Shimo has just makes products fall right off.
I wonder how many people have run into this before. If so, between which two knives?

I think you already know the answer: Convex grind has better food release. I like shallow convex as a good compromise between minimal wedging and food release. Also, thickness behind the edge matters much more than thickness at the spine, in my experience.

Also should note that thickness of spine means very little, the thickness at about 1 cm to the edge is what counts here.

I don't have a caliper, but from looking and feeling the grind profile, I think the ZKramer is actually thinner all around.

Back