Chance to be a hero - Looking for a high quality pepper mill

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickso1

Reaction score
Everytime we go to the store my wife laments about the fact that she can't find a high quality pepper mill. Frankly my bar for being a kitchen hero is pretty low, and I figured the fine folks on here have a preference.

So what kind of pepper mill should I get? Or what should I look for?

TIA.

Unicorn mills are very high quality. I'm also very partial to Vic Firth, because of a childhood connection. Very well made also.

**Edit - Vic Firth sold their gourmet product business (looks like around 2013) and their actual mill no longer makes the product. The company that took over the business is 'Fletchers Mill'. although the product line looks the same, I think they are made in a different shop, so I can't comment on the quality.

Never used a Peugeot so I can't comment on them, but I've used the hell out of my Unicorn and it's never let me down. Between dry rubs and Cajun dishes we go through a heap of black pepper.

The Unicorn is a fantastic grinder, especially if you like high-volume production. And the grind adjustment goes so coarse you can use it to just 'crack' peppercorns if desired. The aesthetics are love-it-or-hate-it, though. My wife uses a lot of black pepper and likes it very course; the Unicorn is her favorite mill.

Unicorn is nice but super high output. I use it for cooking but not so much for the table. I like Wm. Bounds also which has ceramic grinders which means you can use it for salt as well.

The Unicorn Magnum has been our go to for about 8 years. My only complaint is that the nut that is tightened and loosened to change the grins is always loosening, meaning larger pieces. It's gotten to the point where out of habit I jut check it every time.

It can grind an amazing amount of pepper with little effort, we carry ours from the stove to the table every dinner - really should just get another one :biggrin:.

So this thread got me off my a## and I called Unicorn to order another magnum for the kitchen and brought up the loosening grind adjustment issue. They were great and are including another cross bar kit to fix the problem no charge. Love companies with great customer service.

More love here for my olivewood Vic Firth.

Had a few Peugeots, nice for use at the table, but in the kitchen I have not seen anything more functional than the U. Magnum.

Stefan

I have a Zassenhaus and a Peugeot. Hardly ever use the Peugeot. I much prefer the crank handle on the Zassenhaus--get a lot of pepper without a lot of effort. The Peugeot I find very uncomfortable--hard on the wrists if you're going for more than a twist or so of pepper. Wish the Zassenhaus held more peppercorns--it gets refilled pretty regularly. Very tempted to try a Unicorn.

Is this for use at the table, in the kitchen, or both?

Was reading this before I replied (novel concept I know). Not too surprised to see my setup already mentioed. Unicorn in kitchen, one white, one black, Peugeots on the table.

Interesting to read about Vic Firth. I was intrigued with the Boston Symphony (?) And drum stick connection and ordered a couple of his rolling pins several years ago. Very well done. Chatoyance even. I gifted a French pin recently and it was an inanimate stick.

I had Peugeot mills for a long time. My 2 go to mills are a Peppermate for the table, and a Unicorn on the counter.

Cole and Mason Derwent Precision Gourmet Pepper Mill

Another vote for the Unicorn Magnum, I use both the pepper and salt mills. More function over forms however, you could find much more attractive ones for the table.

13479064.jpg

So, the unicorn mill grinding mech is made by Trespade in Italy. I do not know if they run a special production for them, but it looks the same. If one does not like the high output of the unicorn trespade also makes their own mills http://trespade.co.uk/catalog/trespade . I have (but not yet tried) one of their new classic range and they have a grinding mech that is smaller in diameter than the unicorn.

Thus, for table use, the Trespade branded products may be a good alternative to the unicorn. Oh yeah, if one does not appreciate having plastic the trespade ones are painted wood.

when i bought my house, i was broke. i found a William Bounds on a clearance table. it is smaller, about 7" tall, and has a crank handle. it wasnt one of the cool whimsical ones :(. i got this (kinda ugly) one as my "temporary" grinder. but to be honest, i cant hate it at all. it is pretty bombproof. the size adjustment thing works really well. it dumps a bunch of pepper if i want it to. not like a Unicorn Mag, but i'm pretty happy with it.

one day, i'll loose that nut on the top. it is dumb. they made it perfectly spherical. you undo it, set it on the table, and it will creep away at the tiniest slope. my house is old..the floors quit being perfectly plumb sometime in the 50's.

it is a good mill. i feel good recommending a William Bounds.

I think they all suck. I have have a half dozen unicorn mills because they're supposed to the best. They may be better than all others, if say, they are the best of the worst.

Their designs have major design flaws. On the Magnum, the adjustment screw loosens up after a couple dozen cranks. The knob itself is loosey goosey and are really only suited for course grinding. The grind knob is smooth plastic and even a slightly moist hand will slip or it take great effort to turn. The knob needs some sort of knurling for better grip. Ten years ago I mentioned this to them, guess they didn't agree with me. Also, even the Magnum doesn't grind a lot of pepper when cranked. Think I'm wrong, grind me one gram of black tellicherry , and report back (after you rest your arm of course) how long that took.

I say, all pepper mills suck.

Back