Green water

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortnate

Reaction score
Curious about green or yellowish water that I see when watching videos of Japanese knife sharpeners. I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but not finding much. Thanks in advance to anyone that might have some information on this.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1425939489.972573.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1425939506.975055.jpg

Interestingly, it almost matches the color of the stones slurry;)

Interestingly, it almost matches the color of the stones slurry;)

The stone's slurry also contains the ground metal and gets dark, causing the water to get cloudy. On some videos it's extremely clear, but still has a green tint. Looks to be some sort of chemical addition maybe.

Does anyone use this? I've never had issues with knives rusting while sharpening and almost all my knives are carbon.

I use it. It depends on your workload. If you are just sharpening one knife then I never use it. But if I have to sharpen two or more at a time I will use it. Cuts down on my time since I don't have to worry about constantly drying my knives and worrying about splashing water on the ones I've set aside.

I basically have this container that looks like a small plastic trash can tall enough to fit my blades. It has a lid with slits cut into it so I can slide the knives in and the handle will sit on the lid. Inside it's filled with the water and anti rust agent.

I use it. It depends on your workload. If you are just sharpening one knife then I never use it. But if I have to sharpen two or more at a time I will use it. Cuts down on my time since I don't have to worry about constantly drying my knives and worrying about splashing water on the ones I've set aside.

I basically have this container that looks like a small plastic trash can tall enough to fit my blades. It has a lid with slits cut into it so I can slide the knives in and the handle will sit on the lid. Inside it's filled with the water and anti rust agent.

Thanks, your explanation makes perfect sense.

I'd thought it was obvious - something to prevent rust - and so never asked about this. O-Joe, what's the name for this stuff?

Antifreeze
I've seen many images and videos where the water looks like it has Prestone in it. Why wouldn't antifreeze work? It's a corrosion inhibitor, and, well, antifreeze. You don't want your water to freeze with stones in it.

Cheers,

Jack

If a dog gets into antifreeze they're dead. And it smells tasty.

Prob not so good for peoples either.

If a dog gets into antifreeze they're dead. And it smells tasty.

Prob not so good for peoples either.

Yea, antifreeze would be a really bad idea. Also, if you read the MSDS theres one tidbit:

Severe over-exposure can result in death.

Back