Thread: Searching for my next knife....

Searching for my next knife....

My recent introduction to Japanese knives was a Gesshin Ginga 240mm Gyuto.

I think it is a fantastic knife and I'm very glad I bought it. I'm finding, however, that my preference at work is to use this:
    Phillip Patton's "western santoku" (bad pic,sorry). It's a heck of a knife, but I'd rather leave it home with the Gesshin where it's less likely to get too banged-up or "borrowed" by a co-worker.

I seem to reach for it more based on a couple things:

- It's shorter (7.25") and seems more manageable in cramped quarters.
    - The tip is lower on the profile and I don't have to bend my wrist down to use that last inch or so when doing more delicate work.
    - It's 3mm thick close to the handle (vs. the gyuto's 2mm) and while it does have a distal taper, it's nowhere close to as thin as the Gyuto's. I guess I'm finding I prefer not to have a lot of flexing going on when working with certain foods.

So, am I looking for a 3mm/7" santoku? Or maybe a beefier 210mm gyuto? I'd really like this to be my last knife purchase for some time, so I gotta get it right this time! Thanks for your help.

Engorged Member
    JKI sells a 210mm suji from heiji. TK59 has it and it on hell of a knife...

Looks great, but I should also add that $200 is my max budget since it's to be a work knife.

What's wrong with the western Santoku that you have? Sounds like it works great for you...what are you trying to get out of a new knife?

There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to take it to work. I'm looking for a suitable replacement that I can leave in my locker after my shift and keep the custom knife in my kitchen at home.

Does it have to be stainless? The Masamoto CT and Masahiro VC lines include wide-bladed 210mm Yo-gyutos that look like long santokus. And the Masamoto CN and Masahiro rosewood series are bolsterless and priced quite a bit lower.

There was also an Aritsugu on Aframestokyo a while back. Check this out for hefty:

Good suggestions, thanks. Stainless or Carbon is good. I'm leaning towards a "pointy" (if that exists) yo handled santoku around 3mm thick.

If I were you, I'd see if anyone is interested in selling a used 6.5 sun Carter SFGZ funayuki. I honesty
    Think it would be exactly what you're looking for. His knives are thin(ish) without feeling fragile, with incredible grinds, and I haven't noticed any flex in mine (it is shorter, however).
    If you prefer Western style handles, look for an SFGZ RH. I have a feeling people would even be more willing to let one go, than one of his regular wa-handled knives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    If I were you, I'd see if anyone is interested in selling a used 6.5 sun Carter SFGZ funayuki. I honesty
    Think it would be exactly what you're looking for. His knives are thin(ish) without feeling fragile, with incredible grinds, and I haven't noticed any flex in mine (it is shorter, however).
    If you prefer Western style handles, look for an SFGZ RH. I have a feeling people would even be more willing to let one go, than one of his regular wa-handled knives.
    Stop pushing my knife Tom! You can have it when I'm done with it

I was just thinking the same thing. Most people don't find an aesthetic appeal to the SFGZ series anyway so its less likely to be babied and/or stolen!