Takeda and the Epoxy Blob!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
Hey All,
The Trademark epoxy blob of Takeda, just at the ferrule right?
So the Handle can be easily knocked off?
I need to adjust mine (damn right handed setup).
Thanks

I hated the blob, but thought the handle was pretty neutral?

yeah i like the handle, and am fine with the blob too, just need to reset the blade on a lefty bias.

Hey All,
The Trademark epoxy blob of Takeda, just at the ferrule right?
So the Handle can be easily knocked off?
I need to adjust mine (damn right handed setup).
Thanks

Uh, yeah...no. I've never been able to get one off intact. A comparable replacement handle is available from EE or JKI, but Jon's includes the install.

Be well,
Mikey

I once had a giant mishap with epoxy anchors.. If you use a heat gun to heat the choil / tang area, and liberally spray the epoxy with carb cleaner... It will come off, don't know what carb cleaner will do to KU finishes or the handle though..

liberally spray the epoxy with carb cleaner... It will come off, don't know what carb cleaner will do to KU finishes or the handle though..

:shocked3:please don't do this! PM me if I need to explain why, but I shouldn't need too.

Mikey

Carb cleaner is a very aggressive solvent, particularly toward carbon buildup (true kurouchi is forge carbon scale). It will penetrate and ruin the wood of any handle (I don't even want to think about what it would do to stabilized wood) and remove any kurouchi finish on the blade. Just don't go there.

Be well,
Mikey

Carb cleaner is a very aggressive solvent, particularly toward carbon buildup (true kurouchi is forge carbon scale). It will penetrate and ruin the wood of any handle (I don't even want to think about what it would do to stabilized wood) and remove any kurouchi finish on the blade. Just don't go there.

Be well,
Mikey

Solvents will evaporate from the wood, if the wood is finished yes it will harm the finish, it has the same effect on wood as mineral spirits. All you need is a ketone if you want to remove epoxy. Carb cleaner is a readily available ketone. If you were to carefully apply said ketone to the epoxy blob, it shouldn't be a major issue.

I use epoxy too to have the "blob". Unless he is using a special one.. I was able to cut the "blob" off cleanly and then sand the ferule lightly as I had to redo it..

Didn't hv the special gun like applicator as in the video. Used toothpicks to scoop up the blob and apply it.

Good luck and hv fun whilst at it..

Rgds
D

Isn't your Takeda octagon? Would not matter left or right handed. I knocked off a Takeda handle after removing epoxy blob. It came off easy actually used the Takeda handle for another knife.

yes the handle is octagonal. the knife is set into the handle at quite a bias for right handed use though. like if you look at the choil, and the handle is held straight like a properly hung stop sign, the blade goes over to the right from spine to edge. you righties may not think about this but all wa handled knives are set like this coming out of japan anyways. it's a huge source of frustration for me.
I'm OCD about this so i may just sell it...oh well.

yes the handle is octagonal. the knife is set into the handle at quite a bias for right handed use though. like if you look at the choil, and the handle is held straight like a properly hung stop sign, the blade goes over to the right from spine to edge. you righties may not think about this but all wa handled knives are set like this coming out of japan anyways. it's a huge source of frustration for me.
I'm OCD about this so i may just sell it...oh well.

If you're using a pinch grip, I don't really see how this would be an issue, since the handle just lies along your palm, no?

Rick,
You're probably right (pun intended) but I'm just OCD. We all obsess over our knives so much so you get to thinking it should be just as you want it for all the $
Either that, or the sickness is on a much deeper level and I'm just finding a reason to sell it to buy a different knife.
If you're using a pinch grip, I don't really see how this would be an issue, since the handle just lies along your palm, no?

Rick,
You're probably right (pun intended) but I'm just OCD. We all obsess over our knives so much so you get to thinking it should be just as you want it for all the $
Either that, or the sickness is on a much deeper level and I'm just finding a reason to sell it to buy a different knife.

Okay, OCD I can understand. I've had knives that were set cockeyed in the handle, and they bugged the heck out of me. What's even more annoying is a custom octagonal handle where the sides are not square.

If you really like the blade, consider a custom handle from one of the craftsmen on the forum.

Rick

Cheers to getting what you want. You should offer a full lefty custom.

I just want to clarify my remark about a custom handle not being square. What I was trying to describe is that the four major sides were not 90 degrees to each other, so that a parallelogram was formed. instead of a rectangle. The term "square" is a carpentry reference, not a geometric one.

Additionally, the custom maker is not one of the handle makers active on this forum.

Rick

Back