Sub-$300 Gyuto recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
I am looking to get a nice gyuto to use as my main knife. Looking at either stainless steel or white #2, preferably wa and preferably 240. As for the steel, I don't mind the extra maintenance of a white #2 for sharper edge but since stainless steel has better edge retention and less maintenance, it might be more fitting as an all around knife that I'll be using very often. What do you guys think?

Anyways, here are some of the knifes I am currently looking at:
- Gesshin Ginga yo-gyuto stainless steel 270mm
- Gesshin Uraku wa-gyuto stainless steel 240mm

As I stated above, I prefer wa and 240. Only reason why I put a gesshin Ginga yo-gyuto 270 is because every other Ginga gyutos are out of stock. No different handles, steel or length.

I really want to get the Ginga. From my uneducated and untrained perspective, Ginga looks to be a much better knife than uraku. However, Jon said he would be willing to polish the uraku if I were not in a hurry to receive it. So after jon is done with the uraku, how much better is Ginga than the polished uraku?

Also, if you have any other gyuto recommendations, feel free to leave them in your comments! I will be sure to check them out!

I have a gesshin Ginga 270 in white #2, it is actually quite short for a 270, similar in blade length to my 250mm Itou. Great knife I love it.

I have a gesshin Ginga 270 in white #2, it is actually quite short for a 270, similar in blade length to my 250mm Itou. Great knife I love it.

I see. But this Ginga is a yo-gyuto. I heard these knife blades are super light so I'm worried that the yo handle might be too heavy resulting in the knife having an overall poor balance.

I see. But this Ginga is a yo-gyuto. I heard these knife blades are super light so I'm worried that the yo handle might be too heavy resulting in the knife having an overall poor balance.

You can order a Ginga directly from Ashi (well from his shop), http://www.ashihamono.com/en.html
You can choose Wa or Yo, stainless or carbon versions. Also, I think if you contact Jon from JKI he can order one for you.

You can order a Ginga directly from Ashi (well from his shop), http://www.ashihamono.com/en.html
You can choose Wa or Yo, stainless or carbon versions. Also, I think if you contact Jon from JKI he can order one for you.

Thanks ruso. I will give him a call when he is available.

Now that I have all the options available, I'm thinking of going wa-gyuto 240mm with either stainless steel or white #2. Still a little bit torn between those two. What do you guys think?

Kind of an irrelevant question here but how do you guys think masamoto ks and gesshin Ginga compares?

I've had and still have GG stainless knives. Like them a lot. I tried a GG white steel petty - even I could get it scary sharp - but I couldn't get past the reactivity. Had it a couple weeks and then I cut an avocado with it. Great knife but it had to go. Takeaways here are (1) white steel will require considerably more maintenance if you want to keep it "clean" and (2) when you buy a knife you're not marrying it - don't be hesitant about buying something to try it. If you don't like it someone else will.

Suggest you go with stainless as your "main knife" particularly if you've not danced with carbon before.

Jon will respond to inquiries about expected re-stocking of the GG. The GG has a lot in common with Suisin IH and Tadasuna (sp?) INOX.

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/ikkanshi-tadatuna-wa-gyuto-240mm-inox-bl240.html

If you prefer Wa handle (I do) I would go with different knife rather than going with a Yo handle.

Good luck in your search.

I love the look of that knife myself, but the profile may be a bit extreme for a new user?

Stalks or carbon is a decision best left to you the OP.

As to a KS, I enjoy the profile but they often need work out of the box...mine needed quite a bit of thinning and the handle also needed some work--others haven't had the same issue so kind of random. Jon's quality control is worth whatever the cost.

As to the Uraku vs Ginga, the Ginga will be a much lighter knife which some like...I prefer some weight but that is a very personal decision.

Cheers

I've had and still have GG stainless knives. Like them a lot. I tried a GG white steel petty - even I could get it scary sharp - but I couldn't get past the reactivity. Had it a couple weeks and then I cut an avocado with it. Great knife but it had to go. Takeaways here are (1) white steel will require considerably more maintenance if you want to keep it "clean" and (2) when you buy a knife you're not marrying it - don't be hesitant about buying something to try it. If you don't like it someone else will.

Suggest you go with stainless as your "main knife" particularly if you've not danced with carbon before.

Jon will respond to inquiries about expected re-stocking of the GG. The GG has a lot in common with Suisin IH and Tadasuna (sp?) INOX.

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/ikkanshi-tadatuna-wa-gyuto-240mm-inox-bl240.html

If you prefer Wa handle (I do) I would go with different knife rather than going with a Yo handle.

Good luck in your search.

What happens when you cut an avocado with a carbon knife? Because my job requires a lot of avocado cutting.

You know the color of motor oil that has pooled on the ground? Black with some purple swirlies? It's like that, but ugly. Some people love carbon for it, cultivate it, worship it even force it. I am not one of those misguided people. :cool2:

You know the color of motor oil that has pooled on the ground? Black with some purple swirlies? It's like that, but ugly. Some people love carbon for it, cultivate it, worship it even force it. I am not one of those misguided people. :cool2:

Too funny. I'd like to note that as far as carbon and care goes, the Ashi White #2 is pretty un-reactive. No super-reactive cladding, just high-purity carbon steel. In my experience (with an Ashi Hamono white #2 cleaver), once you get that "black with some purple swirlies" action going (more like grey/blue/purple/ultraviolet/grey), it pretty much stays put no matter WHAT you cut.

I really want to get the Ginga. From my uneducated and untrained perspective, Ginga looks to be a much better knife than uraku.

I would go with the GG wa ss 240 when it's back in stock (and personally plan to) because it has a great reputation and Jon is such a great resource. Otherwise, there are several knives on the market that are similar to varying extents:

- Suisin Inox Honyaki (significantly more expensive, best stock handle, asymmetrical)
- Ikkanishi Tadatsuna Inox (softer, about 59 HrC)
- Sakai Yusuke swedish stainless (ask for "extra harden" to get 61 HrC . . . costs $7)
- Konosuke HD2 (semi-stainless, reportedly sharpens easiest)
- Konosuke HH (stainless)
- Konosuke GS (pretty new, not a lot of info - SLD core, so not monosteel)

Let the googling begin . . .

Latest posts

Back