Quantcast
YouTube Knuckleheads - Page 109
Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1092

Thread: YouTube Knuckleheads

Quote Originally Posted by Talim View Post
    You could have started a thread on Sharpening Station part of the forum if you had inquiries about the videos and could have gotten better responses.
    I have some idea how to sharpen

Quote Originally Posted by DerSnap View Post
    I am not sure how I feel about trailing strokes and some other things there either.
    Honing I get it on a super fine stone but 300 stone?
    IIRC, trailing strokes are preferred. And I think you meant to say "stropping", not "honing".
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    IIRC, trailing strokes are preferred. And I think you meant to say "stropping", not "honing".
    Yes you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    From everything I've read, using pressure on the trailing stroke is the traditional (Japanese) way to do it. You're still abrading steel by doing it his way. I know many people here say not to worry too much when starting out, but I think doing it this way does save steel on your knife and it helps prevent messing up your bevels too much, especially when you're new.

When I was first taught how to sharpen knives, by another young cook, he showed me this method (edge trailing only). He told me that was the way he had been shown and all his knives were stupid sharp.

I also knew a professional knife sharpener (who was nuttier than all get out) who didn't use stones or grinders, and only sharpened on strops. It's not my preferred way and I never gave him my knives, but he produced nice edges & nice finishes on all the knives I saw him do.

One extern at the restaurant I was working at dropped her MAC on the ground and had a good sized chip at the heel. She gave it to him to fix and his first step of business was to take it out back and smack it against the concrete to break off the weakened edge... LOL. I would have been a little mad about that. But he did manage to bring it back to decent order with just strops alone. I was pretty surprised.

I'll venture to guess that Vincent sharpens more knives in a day than you see in a month. Let's see your sharpening videos.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I'll venture to guess that Vincent sharpens more knives in a day than you see in a month. Let's see your sharpening videos.
    Oh gee didn't you just put me back in my place. I better go run away now and cry in some corner.
    Seriously get over it already.

Oh gee didn't you just put me back in my place. I better go run away now and cry in some corner.
    Seriously get over it already.
    Can you at least give info what is doing wrong. I personally find Jon's technique better. But knife sharpening is science and engineering not magic. So there is objective criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardborn View Post
    Can you at least give info what is doing wrong. I personally find Jon's technique better. But knife sharpening is science and engineering not magic. So there is objective criteria.

OK before this war continues which was not my intention let us move on. I have no issue and agree he should not be in this thread, so let us leave it at that.

In technique I find him actually when watching similar to many, but start backways to my preferred style. Just makes things seem to not jive with me, but I digress. Still don't agree with 7:3 and working on one side longer than the other (at least when finishing). For me angles have less to do with sharpening than how much work you place on each side. For example most my knives are not the typical V blades, and even the ones I sharpen for my chef friends who work at the Hilton and some Michelin Star kitchens here in my city.

Anyways if I am wrong then please accept my apologies, and get some real knuckleheads back in this thread.

I've watched Vincent (who only uses wetstones, no machines), Jon Broida and Dave Martell sharpen my knives. They all have different techniques but with the same excellent results.

Give humble Vincent a call and ask him about his appreticeship.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Should have put this here years ago.. Enjoy!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/