Quantcast
YouTube Knuckleheads - Page 24
Page 24 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube Knuckleheads

I still have a miracle blade bread knife....great box cutter. Unforunately I tried to throw the rock and chop into a tree one too many times and the handle broke. That Chef Tony is full of crap...he said the handles were indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Some would argue that is because her counter is too high for her. The prep tables at my job hit me square in the jewels.
    What is the preferred/ideal height for a kitchen counter top?

For me, 36". It's different for everyone. But the thing is, the knife that lady is using has a high, pointy tip because it is meant to be used on lower counters so that you don't have to raise your shoulder while you work. Kinda stupid, because yeah, you avoid that muscle strain, and trade it in for working in a hunch 10 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    What is the preferred/ideal height for a kitchen counter top?
    Counter height in a residential kithcen is 36" +/- 1/2" or so. It's a standard height nation wide, and appliances and cabinets are made to that standard. Occasionally, a custom client may request a different height counter for a specific task such as a kitchen desk, work table, etc., but that is not common.

Counter height in a commercial kitchen is also about 36", but there we may be talking about stainless steel "tables", and those "standards" vary a bit more.

The cute lady that's the subject of our abuse is in a residential kitchen probably with normal 36" high counters; she seems a bit short, so she has to lift her arm higher in proportion to her body to get the tip of that aweful knife of the board.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    ...the knife that lady is using has a high, pointy tip because it is meant to be used on lower counters so that you don't have to raise your shoulder while you work...
    Gotta disagree w/ you on your wording here, Eamon. That new skool knife design w/ the high tip is designed to be easier for people to rock-chop with. It's really got nothing to do with counter height, since (in general most) residential counters are the same height.

Home cooks have no knife skills - that we can all agree on - and they get their "information" from mediocre outlets like mega-box kitchen store sales people, TV food “experts” which pander to the lowest common denominator, and YouTube idiots who want to be food stars on TV. All of these outlets teach the same dumb rock-chop as a basic knife skill, and it looks cool to a home cook who doesn't know any better.

Knife shapes changed from the versatile Sab profile when it was common for people to cook to the limited-use high-tip curved profile commonly found now in a society where cooking skills are becoming increasing rare (in spite of the success of food being in the media).

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Home cooks have no knife skills - that we can all agree on - and they get their "information" from mediocre outlets like mega-box kitchen store sales people, TV food “experts” which pander to the lowest common denominator, and YouTube idiots who want to be food stars on TV. All of these outlets teach the same dumb rock-chop as a basic knife skill, and it looks cool to a home cook who doesn't know any better.
    as a home cook, i would have to disagree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    as a home cook, i would have to disagree with you there.
    I stand corrected - poor choice of words on my part. By "home cooks" I meant poeple that are not food professioanls AND haven't taken the initiative to learn on their own from places like this. There are home cooks that are better than some restaurant cooks - just because you work in a professional environment doesn't mean you're any good.

The only thing that separates me from a home cook to a "professional" is that I've been doing private cooking work for the past few years on the side, and I earn a living doing it. I'm good with food, and I love cooking. I still do not consider myself a chef, as to me chef indicates someone who not only knows how to cook, but also knows how to run a professional kitchen and restaurant. There's no degree or diploma awarded to one to be called a chef - it's a title that has to be earned.

I've gone way off track here...

This one is truly masterful. So many amazing pearls of hippie knife wisdom rolled into one video: the forearm measurement standard that you should get a good, quality, really sharp knife "like literally for 2dollars50 at the dollar store", the best device for ultimate sharpness, and a tomato test that would put Salty to shame....t's really one of the best I've seen in a long time....

If your brain starts to liquefy and run out of your ears, you can skip to ~5:30 to get schooled on proper "chopping" technique that she learned while "working at a Chinese restaurant"

This idiot made me evacuate my bowels suddenly & violently. I wonder if her parents had any kids that lived?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I hope she was drunk. She needs to go back to the $ store for a sharp knife. Damit why did I watch the whole thing? (spoiler alert she doesn't cut her self so skip to 5:30)