Looking for a new petty.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman91

Reaction score
Hey guys, i need some advice on a new petty. I want it to be between 120mm and 180mm. I prefer carbon over stainless but doesn't have to be carbon. I have been looking at the Masamoto wa petty and some of the stuff on JKI and like a few of those as well. Just wanted to get some input from you guys on what pettys you like. I also want to stay under $275 on this, Thanks in advance.

Mike

I would think your choice would depend on whether you have any specific tasks in mind because the difference between 120mm and 180mm is pretty big. Anyway I looked on JKI and was looking at the Ino 180mm petty and the Gesshin Ginga 180mm. The Ino almost has a profile like a mini gyuto where the Ginga profile is what I typically associate with a petty. Out of these two I'd pick the Ino since it's carbon, which you wanted, and because of the extra knuckle clearance.

I agree that the difference between 120 and 180 is not only a decent leap in actual size, but the options you have are much more limited in the 180 range as well(especially if you want carbon).

- For carbon, the 165 Masamoto(when back in stock) and the 150 Konosuke white#2 are great choices for well under your budget
- For stainless/semi the 180 Ginga yo, 180 Tadatsuna inox(a-frames) and 180 Aritsugu A-type(a-frames) are all under $200
- You also have too many choices to name in the 120-150 range for both

Just my personal insight is that for a petty especially, I've prefer stainless/semi over carbon considering that I cut lots of acidic items like fruits, onions, etc.

I'm actually looking for a 180mm carbon steel western petty too. AFAIK, there are only four:

- The Ginga line of knives carried by JKI are also available in swedish carbon steel, and I imagine Jon could probably special order one for you: http://www.ashihamono.com/image/en/standard_lineup.pdf

- Tadatsuna's 180mm petty comes in carbon steel, but for some reason they don't advertise it on the English part of their website: http://itkitchenknife.com/japanese/carving.shtml

- Ichimonji makes a nihon-ko carbon steel 180 petty. Seems expensive for what it is, but that's to be expected from Ichimonji. At least the f&f should be very nice: http://www.ichimonji.co.jp/shopping/goods_detail.php?id=372

- Takayuki makes a similar nihon-ko carbon petty for cheaper, and you can probably special order it from Blueway since they carry other Takayuki knives: http://aoki-hamono.co.jp/english1/yo%20e/yo8.htm

I love my 180 Masamoto.

IMG_4358a.jpg

If it were me, I'd go on the upper end in length (closer to 180mm), and make sure it has sufficient knuckle clearance (heel height of 38mm+).
I'm a definite petty guy, and my go to for a little while was my 5.2sun Carter funayuki, which is really a gyuto/petty hybrid. My Rodrigue Pettysuki came in this week, and I LOVE the 175mm length and 40mm of height. We opted for S35VN, and asuch as I love carbon for its ability to get sharp, I'm glad I went stainless on this knife. Just like Caddy said, a petty will see lots of acidic ingredients, and it is nice to know that there will be zero transference and really no degradation at the edge.
In the case of my new petty, the geometry is really allowing it to be a wicked cutter. Along this train of thought, make sure you get a petty that has good geometry, so it will fly through product.

So that means that you feel the ideal petty is 7 x 1.5 inches?
If it were me, I'd go on the upper end in length (closer to 180mm), and make sure it has sufficient knuckle clearance (heel height of 38mm+).
I'm a definite petty guy, and my go to for a little while was my 5.2sun Carter funayuki, which is really a gyuto/petty hybrid. My Rodrigue Pettysuki came in this week, and I LOVE the 175mm length and 40mm of height. We opted for S35VN, and asuch as I love carbon for its ability to get sharp, I'm glad I went stainless on this knife. Just like Caddy said, a petty will see lots of acidic ingredients, and it is nice to know that there will be zero transference and really no degradation at the edge.
In the case of my new petty, the geometry is really allowing it to be a wicked cutter. Along this train of thought, make sure you get a petty that has good geometry, so it will fly through product.

For me, yes. With a thin, left handed grind, and a kiritsuke tip.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Yes i know 130mm to 180mm is a big gap, I guess i was thinking more 150 to 180. I had a 130mm Moritaka that i liked, but want more size than that. That Masamoto looks great, probably my favorite at this point.

Mike

For me, a petty should be 150mm on the edge and no mm longer to use it effectively. If I needed a longer knife, I probably would get a short suji (210-225mm).

M

Back