Working Part Time Off Site

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
For the first time in 25 years I'll be working in a foreign kitchen. I haven't had to worry about knife rolls, theft, etc.

This will be very interesting.

Not to mention I've worked with the same guys for ten years.

Very interesting indeed. Start Thursday morning.

You could say that. Also need something to do in the mornings.

i try and do the same thing, I pick up shifts at all my friends spots as much as possible while working my regular job so i can pick up as many styles and learn as much as possible. It is a nerve wracking situation... at first but then once everyone sees what a beast you are and can mesh with the guys its on. I bet youll go in there and whip out a crazy honyaki and youll be the most popular guy there lol

I will not be bringing a crazy honyaki. It will be the cheapest most efficient knife I have. And only one.

I was thinking exactly the same thing Scott.

My guess is whichever one is in his hand is the most efficient...

That was interesting and a little frustrating.

The crew is very territorial.
They misinterpret the health codes.
Too many people working.
No definite boss.

So I got to cut stuff up today but........I'm not exaggerating.
Meat has to be cut on a glass cutting board.
You have to wear those cheap clear plastic gloves when touching food. Whether it's going to be cooked or not. On both hands. So yes, I'm cutting on a glass cutting board (I used a house knife) wearing cheap plastic gloves.
So everyone is wondering around the kitchen with these gloves on touching everything else and then go back to touching the food. IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE!
Hot water quick thaw. (Standing water) They pretend to be very strict with the health codes but they're clueless.
Little Generals and ghosts. (People who disappear)

I took orders like a good soldier.

Good to be back home wearing my crown.

that's going to be frustrating to tolerate while you build credibility and trust.

man, that's got to be tough on you. If you need this job for extra $, then I guess you have to tough it out. But if you are there just to relieve boredom or knocking out some community service maybe you can slowly help get things on track for them. And I'm sure some of your techniques, etc. will be picked up by the staff around you, helping to elevate the whole kitchen.

that's going to be frustrating to tolerate while you build credibility and trust.

Zwiefel,

You are more optimistic than I would be. I'm thinking that if they are doing these basic things incorrectly someone has to of tried to tell them WTFAYDoing! I am also guessing that they are certain they are doing things correctly and won't be open to suggestions.

Wow that sounds so negative:(

I had the hardest time choosing a knife this morning. (I'm using house knives from now on BTW. Too many people wandering around that kitchen.)
I decided to bring the ugliest knife. Which happens to be the Masamoto honyaki. (I know I said I wouldn't bring one) It's several shades of gray with a plain black handle.
It came home with me:)

No chef here, but I did some stages years ago, and am a pretty good home cook. And retired.

My wife's firm participates in some charity dinners several times a year, and I get called out to work the line. I actually bought some decent, not great, SS knives to avoid the house knives. No way was I bringing one of my good ones. And it's kind of embarrassing when your wife wants to show off your knife skills and you have a blunt instrument in your hands.

This place is a halfway house for relatives of patients in a famous university hospital. Actually a decent kitchen, with good heavy equipment, but no prep tools. There are a lot of "guests" walking around, at all hours, so if it is not tied down...

The first thing I do when I get there is seek out one of the few decent cutting boards (plastic) and carry it around with me for the rest of the night...

It's the local soup kitchen.

And it's not for required Com Serv.

(Although, the thought was brilliant. Seriously.)

The more I reflect on today the more my feelings change.

At first I was appalled. Then I was amused, now I'm impressed about how these selfless volunteers (Especially Doris) do this for years for what seems like un-appreciating "guests".

That's true "charity".

Nice website, and this blog is going to be fun to follow...love the character introductions.

Well... my earlier comments are no longer applicable. Anyone working in a soup kitchen deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Sounds like an interesting morning!

I tip my hat to you. I've done some shifts at a local soup kitchen with a buddy of mine to give their regular guy a break. It's humbling. Some of the faces I've seen in the church dining room were familiar. It was disturbing for me to realize that some families of my kids schoolmates had to rely on this. The other volunteers always thank us big time. I think our food is a little different. I keep thinking they do this selflessly all the time with really no acknowledgement at all, what are they thanking me for?
There's a couple places including Trader Joes that are remarkable in how much fine food they donate. I went back in and sharpened some knives (they do use a lot of serrated). I couldn't help myself.

Bottom line. It could work sooo much better. So you have to ask yourself.........if you really want to contribute?......I'm a little afraid of that.

My unsolicited opinion is that if there are things regarding sanitation that need to be improved that maybe after a few more days you could use your way of persuasion to at least educate? I would think that would be the one area where they have to listen--then maybe when they figure out that you know *** you're talking about, they will listen in other areas? Not sure exactly what this is all about, but cheers on choosing a place that could use your help.

Well, now I can understand concerning it is a soup kitchen and not a professional restaurant. Kudos to you Scott for helping out, well played!

Bottom line. The people preparing the food there obviously feel fulfilled. The "guests" don't complain and generally speaking the folks in charge are satisfied. So the wheel really doesn't need to be fixed.

I'll continue with my lessons in humility, patience and tolerance.

Salty,

Your attitude and humility are admirable! Thanks for sharing this lesson.

Back