Kagekiyo VG10 - 1.80mm at heel??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Er . . . a wide bevel gyuto that's 1.8mm at the heel?

http://www.chuboknives.com/products/kagekiyo-vg10-gyutou-240mm#.VQpuk8vn-BY

Seems like this knife in VG10 could be a chip machine. But intriguing?

I feel like the JKI kagekiyo series would provide several advantages . . . Thicker at the spine = more to work with as far as tapering down to that crazy thin area behind the edge, allowing for a better grind. Also probably more heft.

Looks damn fine though.

I've not used one, but wouldn't have thought of heft as being a good descriptor for the Kagekiyo?

I've not used one, but wouldn't have thought of heft as being a good descriptor for the Kagekiyo?

Only in a relative sense between these two - so the VG10/non-JKI kagekiyo I linked to is listed at 1.80mm above the "spine" which in retrospect I may have misread as above the heel. The JKI as listed at 3.48 mm above the heel (and 4.1 mm at the handle). My understanding of those knives is that they have some heft from the thickness at the spine but an insane grind so that they are extremely thin behind the edge. But that is just going off of pictures and comments I saw here and there - not directly from JKI so take this all with a grain of salt :)

Back