XLG Blocks of Ringed Gidgee

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I have started adding some of my large blocks of Ringed Gidgee to our web store. For those of you who are not familiar with Ringed Gidgee it is a Desert Growing type of Acacia (same family as koa) from Western Australia.

These blocks look like High Grade Koa and feel like Desert Ironwood.
In my opinion Ringed Gidgee is the Ultimate Knife Handle wood.

This link will take you to the section of the store with the Ringed Gidgee Blocks. There will be some smaller blocks and some Extra Large Fighter sized Blocks.

This is a photo of one of the pieces I kind of like.
a20791e13182f4935b9080_l.jpg

It is kind of expensive. But even if you don't get a piece it is still fun to look at.

I have had a piece on my desk for a couple years that I just move around under the light and look at it once in a while. It is really heavy in case you need to use it for a self defense projectile.

Nice. So, stabilizing or not stabilizing?

Stefan

Not stabilizing. I have never heard of anyone even trying to stabilize it. In Australia this is what they use instead of Ironwood.
I seriously doubt that stabilizing would change anything with this. Like ironwood.

To give a reference for the density, one of the blocks 6 inches long weighs just over 1 pound. (I just weighed #B1703)
The reason for the delay making the big blocks available was the moisture reading inside the blocks was a bit higher than the exterior.
I put them in my dehumidification kiln for just over a month. A week ago I cut one in half and the moisture content was 12% inside and out.

The best way to finish this wood is with an oil finish, then wax and finally hand buff. Power buffing can cause a duller finish but still looks ok, I guess (not really, looks ugly power buffed).

I had to say that. A friend on another forum used a piece that he burnished then power buffed. Everyone said it looked great. My thought was how good it could have looked but I kept my mouth shut. It still hurts from having to bite my tongue.

Block 1706 arrived today:thumbsup: VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Did you drill out the center and fill it with lead???

Block 1706 arrived today:thumbsup: VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Did you drill out the center and fill it with lead???

Almost feels like it.
If I remember correctly your block weighed about 1 pound.

Back