No more chopping garlic for me...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOli

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of stainless steel oroshigane graters and I have to say that the flavours this little inexpensive item adds to my cooking are just fantastic. A couple of water drops on the surface plus a few seconds of circular motions will ensure you get the perfect paste and the cleaning is so easy compared to a traditional garlic crusher!

The larger oroshigane (3"x4") is used for garlic and ginger while the smaller one (2"x3") is used for nutmeg and other nuts.

Just a brilliant and inexpensive Japanese kitchen item that I whole heartedly recommend!

What are you guys using in your home or pro kitchens?

+1 whenever i update my kit my little oroshigane always has a place in there.

did you see that shun makes one ?

+1 whenever i update my kit my little oroshigane always has a place in there.

did you see that shun makes one ?

I had a look at the Shun but it is huge so I went for a pair of Tsuboe off a Japanese seller on the bay. The good thing is that they are small enough to hang from wooden beads I screwed in to the side of my knife display.

Must have my Ray Charles on. Can't see a thing!

ray%20charles.jpg

I loved using oroshigane at Kajitsu. excellent for ginger and daikon oroshi.

i've actually taken to microplaning garlic, avoids getting my board all stinky and my knife all sticky. works fine for me. that way when i grate zest later for cookies they taste like garlic. yum

Every dish requires a specific treatment, shaved, minced, diced , coarse chop, sometimes grated. It will definitely affect the flavor profile of the final product. I leave big chunks diguised as something else just to get a rise out of my wife and kids. Maybe breath in them a little. Sick Bast...

Every dish requires a specific treatment, shaved, minced, diced , coarse chop,paste, sometimes grated. It will definitely affect the flavor profile of the final product. I leave big chunks diguised as something else just to get a rise out of my wife and kids. Maybe breathe on them a little. Sick Bast...

Every dish requires a specific treatment, shaved, minced, diced , coarse chop, sometimes grated. It will definitely affect the flavor profile of the final product. I leave big chunks diguised as something else just to get a rise out of my wife and kids. Maybe breath in them a little. Sick Bast...

I have a dish that cooks super quick, so I purposefully chop the garlic in very irregular pieces so that I can get a range of textures and flavors w/o having to drag things out or have multiple steps. Discovered it on accident when i was in a hurry one day and loved it.

All valid points and habit, I used whole cloves to roast vegetable but the paste comes so handy for stir fries and to rub chicken breasts with a concoction based on garlic paste, ginger paste, olive oil, sea salt, coarse ground pepper and super finely chopped red chillies.

Hah nope. Good point. You could chop it at work put it in a deli quart and top it with oil to take home though.

Having a French mother and having helped her in the kitchen from a tender age I am pretty used to dosing garlic right. No doubt it is more powerful if grated on the oroshigane but I have not experienced that unpleasant smell...

Mike at least you don't have to worry about Vampires.

Use whatever works for the job. Small graters work for many spices. Use a knife to peel garlic rough cut to using a press for garlic butter(Always have in my Frig)

Making Curry stew peel ginger & garlic rough cut put in a Cuisinart with olive oil to make a mush that blends into the sauce with lots of flavor.

Oli,

How do you use your oroshigane? The problem I have with it that I always have smelly hands after grating garlic with it. No problem if you are going to rub it into a chicken anyway, but I fon't find it handy when I just add some garlic to a sauce.

Mark the oroshigane graters produce a much finer grade like a mush, good for small amounts of garlic & ginger. You can do lemongrass list goes on to really release the flavors of fresh items.

For a while at work was grading fresh Wasabi root for Ala Carte Sushi & sashimi. If you have never had it you get spoiled it is awesome. The problem is very short shelf life, loses punch quickly. Cannot be packaged or stored. And $$ we eventually went back to the horseradish stuff.

Back