A 250-300$ 210mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyskr

Banned
Reaction score

Israel

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
guyto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
350$, if it really really worth it.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All-around knife. Mainly slicing vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
A global g-2

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
down i guess

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharper cutting. Better grip. More enjoyable.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I would really prefer a damascus knife, but it's not a must.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
better handle material and shape, and a good balance. better food realse.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
would prefer it was sharp out of the box.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
The more the better.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, with a global cermic sharpner.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Thank you guys in advance! :)

Is the global ceramic sharpener that wheely thing you add water to in the container? That thing is a joke. If so I'd advise getting some whetstones instead first and learning to use them before you shell out $350 for a good knife. A 1000/6000 wide King combo stone is a good cheap entry level stone (see epicedge.com) and you can practice on the global knife you're replacing. Free video knife sharpening tutorial links can be found on this site.

Thanks
This is a good advice to begin sharpening with a stone. I will order one and practice on a global.
How about a knife recommendation so that once I have improved with the stone I can start with a knife. I bought the globals two years ago and in my opinion they are amazing but I feel that it is possible to buy a new knife that again I can feel the improvemnet jump as i did once with the global.
Cheers
Joel

Maybe check out Kurosaki. I have been more than impressed with his stainless clad AS line, and his shiny R-2 line is pretty stellar as well. Amazing bang for the buck.
But I would also recommend learning whetstones on your globals as well. Actually, once you can confidently sharpen the global knives you'll find it a lot easier to sharpen others.

Happy hunting

Itinimonn from Japanese Natural Stones gets a lot of love here. There are a few 210 configurations at: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn/?sort=newest I've used the stainless clad and was impressed with the "do it all" nature of the no frill knife.

Stainless clad stainless: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

Stainless clad V2 (carbon): http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

JNS products are an especially good value for folks that will require international shipping. Free is good.

Furin-11.gif

Japanese Chefs knife.com also has good international shipping. The website is a little oddly organized but it will reward some poking around on there to find things. How about
http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanSpecials.html#FuRinKaZanSpecials
the FW-3 Wa Gyuto is $190 in white #2 steel.
View attachment 26870:cool2:

I would certainly recommend stepping up your sharpening game with some Japanese waterstones, something like the king 1000/6000 combo or a Bester 1200 and a Suehiro Rika 5000.

Last edited:
Thanks
This is a good advice to begin sharpening with a stone. I will order one and practice on a global.
How about a knife recommendation so that once I have improved with the stone I can start with a knife. I bought the globals two years ago and in my opinion they are amazing but I feel that it is possible to buy a new knife that again I can feel the improvemnet jump as i did once with the global.
Cheers
Joel

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com

Check out the gesshin ginga wa gyutos, both stainless and white#2, and the gesshin gengetsu wa gyutos, stainless and stainless clad. (Gengetsu is currently out of stock but you can email them for info if that's what you decide). Then run a search for gesshin on this site. Much kudos! Good luck.

How about a Watanabe professional series?...direct from the maker...

JNS (Japanese Natural Stones) currently has the 210mm Wa handle Kato workhorse available but is slightly more than your stated budget. The workhorse is very well received by many although I don't have any experience with it. I'm trying to score a 240mm workhorse myself.:D

I have and like the JNS Kato workhorse.

I also have examples of Yoshikane and Kumagoro gyutos which deserve a long look:
Yoshikane SKD
Kumagoro

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I sent a massage to Watanabe and waiting for a answer from them.
I want to post in the B/S/T forum to see what the guys here have to offer, but I can't becuse of my lake of posts :(

Gesshin Ginga gets my vote. I use one everyday at work and it's an amazing value for $220, including saya.

How about a Takeda? I read some great things about those.
Also, some family of mine are going to the USA in a couple of weeks, so the shippming to Israel is no longer a thing to consider.

Itinomonn semi stainless
Yoshikane SKD
Heiji

I'd only consider Takeda if you like the profile.

I would agree with Marc. The Kurosaki knives are pretty sick. A friend of mine just got one of his KU AS Santoku knives and it is pretty sick. You should also look into the Masakagi Yuki and Koishi lines. Great grinds and OOTB sharpness. The OOTB edge on the Kurosaki wasn't that great so I turned it up for my friend. Got RAZOR sharp very quickly though.

Back