180mm prep workhorse already have lasers help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaztheman7

Reaction score
2 days till i shop, cooking professionally for 25 years, $300 ceiling looking at super blue steel clad or r2 core; western deba, banno bunka, or santoku types. need that all purpose in your hand 98 percent of the time knife. uncertain about what to get. lots of options with the price range and places i'll go- uwajima, epicurean edge maybe s williams. any thoughts opinions or advice would be appreciated, p.s. i'm lefty and my gear is on my profile. many thanks in advance from north of seattle.

Epicurean Edge or Japanese Knife Imports...no clue about a 180 gyuto though, sorry. Have no clue what uwajima or s williams is, but the two I mentioned (you also said EE) are the two I'd go to if I had a question and wanted their help. I would definitely call Jon at JKI just for a recommendation--which he'll give even if he can't fit your needs (I've never had that happen, but I haven't looked for a 180 gyuto)

Cheers

Should have mentioned that if you'll fill out the "which knife should i buy questionnaire" that you'll get better answers and less questions.

us seattleish

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
western deba banno bunka or santoku shape
Are you right or left handed?
lefty
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
western or octagonal possiby
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
7" or so
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
at least clad probably work at a busy pub, not a caveman but stuff happens
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
work
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
salmon, some meat fab. usually boneless, rock n chop veg stuf then online for whateva
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
i miss my 7" furi santoku
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
that furi one was comfortable my myabi 600 is ok not too fond of "cold" feeling shun d shape
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
sheesh which one don't i? every and all all the time
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
better steel not too burdensome to maintain/sharpen, sick of v10 if thats what i've been using all these years
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
who cares get the dang job done
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
that furi was agreat balance of lightweight yet w enough heft or girth to get busy
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
yes
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
oh yes

just as a matter of proper way to choose where you put your topics.... it is rather impolite to post in Jon's business Japanese Knife Imports looking for products his competitors sell. since your thread was made under his business its assumed you would only be interested in products he sells.
I'm sure a mod will move it but also once its moved your likely to get better replies.

Yeah, viewing/commenting on my phone, didn't realize it was in JKI section of Forum

my bad on that, so green here didn't know where i even was. my apologies to the affected party. thanks guys i'll look at those...

Sounds like a road trip to EE would be a good use of time. Handle some knives and get a feel for what you like. And +1 on Watanabe, it certainly merits consideration for your requirements.

yeah but that and the yokishane are not southpaw friendly, rules out some others that aren't 50 50 edge too. excited to see what i can find.

Shinichi Watanabe is really easy to work with. If you shoot him an email, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to make something to your needs, in your price budget. He also has an incredibly fast turnaround time.

Nothing but cheap euro blades are 50/50...
Not entirely true. E.g., all Masakage blades (which are neither cheap nor European) are 50/50... and come with an octagonal handle which is equally suited for right and left hand users...

Not entirely true. E.g., all Masakage blades (which are neither cheap nor European) are 50/50... and come with an octagonal handle which is equally suited for right and left hand users...

Nope.

Every choil shot I have seen and the Koishi I used to have = asymmetric

Nope.

Every choil shot I have seen and the Koishi I used to have = asymmetric

Hmm, I'm not an expert, so you may be right - you probably are. What I said was based on what Masakage (Shibata) states on their web-site... Sorry if I was wrong, but I relied on what I read...

meh, epic. edge was sure enough closed mondays. found myself trying knives at another place (la sur table) took a liking to the henckles kramer 7" in FC 61 steel. might have gotten more knife for my $ 200 but bottom line i dig the feel and it fits my needs, hopefully the quality holds up. pretty fricken tortureous to stand face to face inches away from all the knives i had been drooling over for months online and be powerless. i geuss there's another tax return waiting next time. oh yes, it will be mine

Sweet man! Hope you dig the the knife :knife: ; and if not then the best part is that slt will take it back (their return policy is very good) and you can go back to ee :cool2:. Make sure and post some pics and let us know what you think.

Cheers

yeah thanks, say so now that i fell a little under budget i wanted to get some new stuff for up keep. i was looking at shapton pro 2000 and atoma diamond flattener plus a strop. does sound about right to anyone? kinda newer to most of this ultra tech stuff. guidance and or advice would be be helpful as its kinda a bit of money probably around a hundo. awyhoo thanks alot and holy smokes i busted out a 4 gal bucket of cole slaw by hand in less than a half hour the other day, crazy fine!

Back