Japanese Misono Swedsh Carbon 240, dragon no more?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I took advantage of the yen and ordered another Misono Swedish 240 carbon to give as a gift because the dragon is so cool and the knife takes such an incredible edge so easily and once you force the right kind of Patina it isn't reactive at all :)

When I got the knife, F&F was as good as I remember, the OOB edge was as incredible as I remember (and the steel clearly hasn't changed because the OOB edge became pretty insane after stropping only a few strokes on 1 micron diamond sprayed Balsa wood).

But no dragon!

So sad, is the dragon no more or is he only on US sold knives?

misono carbon.jpg

It's usually less expensive w/o the dragon...but same knife:)

From Korin? They show the 210 as not avail w Dragon but 240 is.

I believe the 210 gets the flowers...240 and up get the dragon. I don't own one, but the last time I checked think this was correct.

That's my recollection as well. The 210 got the Chrysamsug..., Crhisamthy.... Flower. The 240 the Dragon. Don't know if this varies by vendor or if it's a change from Misono that will be reflected in new stock. The Misono never blew my skirt up but a Kato with a Dragon we could talk about.:cool2:

I believe the 210 gets the flowers...240 and up get the dragon.

+1. <240 gets the flower with the exception of the 165 & 210 western Deba.

I'm a lefty so when I've gotten my Swedish Steel knives from Koki they have to take extra time (45+ days) to do the engravings if desired. I just got a western Deba and I didn't bother with it, ditto for the 180 gyuto I got earlier. I patiently waited for the dragon on the 300 gyuto (and soon to be 300 Sujihiki and 360 gyuto), and the flower on the santoku.

It's interesting how that is both a right handed model and it has the new branding (EU). Some of the smaller lefties I have like the honesuki and petty have the EU, but everything that has engraving (or the option of) does not have EU. Just speaking from my own exposure to the products, but I wonder if the engravings will be no more in future models?

The design really depends on where you get it. Misono has both the dragon and flowers. I'm surprised that your 240mm doesn't have anything on it though. I thought they usually do.

Sorry gic but,

Me thinks this is another "I bought from (Fill in Blank) to save $5.00, but knife is not what I expected...." post.

There is nothing wrong with purchase decisions being price driven but there can be unintended consequences as well.

Last edited:
Sorry gic but,

Me thinks this is another "I bought from (Fill in Blank) to save $5.00, but knife is not what I expected...." post.

There is nothing wrong with purchase decisions being price driven but there usually are unintended consequences as well.

Fixed that for you Dave...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the knife steel, F&F etc is the same as far as I can tell, which means they get the most amazing knife they will probably have for quite a while, the giftee just doesn't get a dragon :)

Well the knife steel, F&F etc is the same as far as I can tell, which means they get the most amazing knife they will probably have for quite a while, the giftee just doesn't get a dragon :)

That is unfortunate IMO as the dragon engraving is what makes these knives special.

I remember reading a post long before I registered (think it was here) about someone looking for a santoku or smaller gyuto and specifically not wanting the engraving, but that would have been the flower not dragon.

Can't argue with that. A very nice gift with or without.

Actually, I've thought about buying the same one Gary got because I'm guessing I'd wind up with a dragon rust-bomb:O

I didn't want to derail the thread but it's occurred to me what a great wedding present this would make.

And if ordered from Korin the knife would have the dragon, and Korin could engrave the date of the wedding. Thus forever reminding the groom of the day she turned into a dragon...:groucho:

I didn't want to derail the thread but it's occurred to me what a great wedding present this would make.

And if ordered from Korin the knife would have the dragon, and Korin could engrave the date of the wedding. Thus forever reminding the groom of the day she turned into a dragon...:groucho:

Im not sure why there's not a clapping smiley so this will have to do:

brendan-fraser-clap-o.gif

Actually, I've thought about buying the same one Gary got because I'm guessing I'd wind up with a dragon rust-bomb:O

Just curious has this been a problem for anyone? In theory I could see if you wipe the blade but don't pay enough attention to the engraving and allow moisture to remain in the depressions.

Hardly a problem. When I got my Dragon I've forced a patina on it. The deeper engraving still has that very first patina; the blade itself has undergone numerous thinning and refinishing sessions after which it got a new patina, but the engraving remains untouched.

:rofl2:

Hardly a problem. When I got my Dragon I've forced a patina on it. The deeper engraving still has that very first patina; the blade itself has undergone numerous thinning and refinishing sessions after which it got a new patina, but the engraving remains untouched.

Thanks. Do you mind sharing a photo of your knife? I am thinking about getting one for daily use, but like many, I am slightly concerned about the reactivity.

Some report about a fairly unreactive steel, others about a very reactive one. It really doesn't matter if you decide to force a patina. This one has recently be renewed -- but not for the engraving, that remained dark.

By the way I did some research on Rakuten and the price for the 240 dragon model and the one without the dragon is essentially the same, some vendors carry the dragon, others do not - I picked one that didn't not knowing this :)

Some report about a fairly unreactive steel, others about a very reactive one. It really doesn't matter if you decide to force a patina. This one has recently be renewed -- but not for the engraving, that remained dark.

No offense, but that still looks like a potential rust bomb. May just be the lighting, but that is exactly what I had in mind.
That said, I don't use a forced patina on anything and maybe that's just the way it looks.
Cheers

Back