Quantcast
Coticule - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coticule

Oh that is very nice. Eventually I'd love to have one of these or JNat as fishing stones. Until then I just look at nice pics.

I picked up this B-nat combo stone a few years ago, easily one of my favorite stones.

How long do Coticules last? I hear they are very hard, but how do they compare to a very hard synthetic?

I have heard you can use coticules with slurry for aggressive sharpening and then with clear water to refine the edge. Does this work well?

The more I read about coticules they seem like miracle stones.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    How long do Coticules last? I hear they are very hard, but how do they compare to a very hard synthetic?

I have heard you can use coticules with slurry for aggressive sharpening and then with clear water to refine the edge. Does this work well?

The more I read about coticules they seem like miracle stones.
    Hard to say they will last longer than synthetic because they are thinner stones.
    As far as sharpening yes you start with slurry and dilute with water to finish on water only. With thick slurry they cut very fast at ~4k level, finish with water is 8-10k level depending on the coticule.

I picked up this B-nat combo stone a few years ago, easily one of my favorite stones.
    Very nice size you got the big one too

But i try to ask for some soft BBW from Ardennes next time.
    it is pretty hard, harder then coticule i use mine BBW for tools and its perfect for that !
    But for knifes i need to use nagura to make it faster.

I start a slurry with a 1200 diamond plate, both sides cut very fast. Can go from a 800 king right to the B-nat combo.

See what I mean? From a bevel-setting 800jis grit stone, and the next step takes you all the way to strop-ready 10k refinement. That is astonishing.

It just occurred to me that perhaps it is possible to do the same thing with Jnats? I heard that the muddy-aggresive and clean-polish effect is because of the rounded shape of garnets occurring in Coticules, and can't be done with BBWs or Jnats. Is that so?

I am just too poor to buy all of these fantastic stones and try them out, and I would just be hunting for an elegant solution anyways. Having a single stone that(with good technique and practice) can do the job of 3, work fast and last long sounds right up my alley.

BBWs have same garnish as coticule

From Maurice at Ardennes: We have also a blue stone called BBW (Belgian Blue Stone). This stone has the same composition as the yellow but only +/-25% of garnets (they are a little bit bigger 15—>20 micron instead 10—>15 micron and it is a little bit harder.

For Jnats they have flat partikels and they work in hole another lavel, they brake into thiner flakes not in size , so they shaving metal away not digging in it like Coticule or synthetics.
    Coticules garnish do not brake in size like synthetic stone do , so it is like Natural Diamond stone

Coticules is much more agresive and more of a steel removal stone for me, where Jnats is the best Polishers and finest stones