Quantcast
More Treasure Arrived Today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Treasure Arrived Today!

More Treasure Arrived Today!

Today is a good day.
    UPS brought me a big box and the post office brought a couple more.

The first three photos are wood sent to me by a guy who owns a company that cuts veneer and does the interiors of multi-million dollar yachts and private jets. He had been here a month ago and said he would send me some cool wood.

I had no idea what he was going to do. These are old pieces from his personal stash.

In this photo are English Sycamore, Ebony from Madagascar, Black Walnut, Karelian Birch, Brazilian Rosewood (pre-cites) and curly Teak.

Next photo is Bubinga, Sapelle, something from Mozambique and English Sycamore.

Next photo is figured Bog Oak, the logs were dated about 20,000 BC
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

These pieces came from a guy Stefan and I both know in Honolulu.
    I asked him to surprise me with some good stuff.

1st photo has a couple pieces of Afzelia Xylay and a piece of 2 tone curly Satinwood.

2nd photo some unusual Amboyna Burl

3rd photo some dark curly Satinwood and a piece of Gmelina Burl

I think I am going to have fun cutting and sanding this to see what is under the rough surfaces.
    Visit our web store

Nice looking woods! Looking forward to seeing what the blocks turn out like!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

20,000 BC Bog Oak, eh? That is some sweet looking wood.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

ooooooooohhhh bog oak....come to papa....

I don't see that bog oak lasting real long....All of it is really nice stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    20,000 BC Bog Oak, eh? That is some sweet looking wood.
    A couple were from a piece marked 20,000 BC and a different piece was marked 3000 BC.
    There are scattered cracks in the wood so I was going to send some in for stabilizing. Will probably still require some fills.
    It is not all dark black, lot of olive colored portions. Most are cut quartersawn so it gets the flecks and rays.

The guy who sent me the wood said they had been cutting it into sheets of veneer for the cabin interiors of yachts and private jets.
    This was some of the stuff he had set aside for himself. Part of the deal with him is that I have to send him photos showing how it gets used.
    Visit our web store

Very nice stuff. I still have a few 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sticks of 40+ year old Brazilian rosewood that I got from a custom pool cue supply house here in Florida. I also bought a 2 x 2 x 30 log of amboyna from him a couple of years ago that didn't have a single flaw or void in the whole piece and was dense enough to be used unstabilized. Its gone now, of course. I can't wait to see how that amboyna you have turns out, although the downside is that the natural stuff smells like you are baking spice cake when you grind it whereas stabilized wood smells like you are laying up the hull of a cheap Ranger bass boat.

But wait, there's more!

My boss sent me on a spur of the moment trip to pick up a 9 foot redwood slab for a dining set order we will be building. He gave me a pocket full of money in case I saw anything I needed.

I got some really nice Lace Redwood Burl.
    Some orange, some red/purple, some of the flashy curly old growth root and a piece of what might be black redwood (don't know till I cut it).

I will take photos tomorrow.
    I am trying to stop myself from saying the best I have ever seen. Because every time I do something better or different comes along.
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    My boss sent me on a spur of the moment trip to pick up a 9 foot redwood slab for a dining set order we will be building. He gave me a pocket full of money in case I saw anything I needed.

I got some really nice Lace Redwood Burl.
    Some orange, some red/purple, some of the flashy curly old growth root and a piece of what might be black redwood (don't know till I cut it).

I will take photos tomorrow.
    I am trying to stop myself from saying the best I have ever seen. Because every time I do something better or different comes along.
    You can just box that up and send it to me...Save you the trouble of saying it is the best you have ever seen....I will say its the best i ever got to cut up! hahaha
    CANT wait for pics....I love me some redwood.....

Mike

+ Reply to Thread