More Treasure Arrived Today!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Today is a good day.
UPS brought me a big box and the post office brought a couple more.

The first three photos are wood sent to me by a guy who owns a company that cuts veneer and does the interiors of multi-million dollar yachts and private jets. He had been here a month ago and said he would send me some cool wood.

I had no idea what he was going to do. These are old pieces from his personal stash.

In this photo are English Sycamore, Ebony from Madagascar, Black Walnut, Karelian Birch, Brazilian Rosewood (pre-cites) and curly Teak.
1-1.jpg

Next photo is Bubinga, Sapelle, something from Mozambique and English Sycamore.
2-1.jpg

Next photo is figured Bog Oak, the logs were dated about 20,000 BC
3-1.jpg

These pieces came from a guy Stefan and I both know in Honolulu.
I asked him to surprise me with some good stuff.

1st photo has a couple pieces of Afzelia Xylay and a piece of 2 tone curly Satinwood.
4-1.jpg

2nd photo some unusual Amboyna Burl
5-1.jpg

3rd photo some dark curly Satinwood and a piece of Gmelina Burl
6-1.jpg

I think I am going to have fun cutting and sanding this to see what is under the rough surfaces.

Nice looking woods! Looking forward to seeing what the blocks turn out like!

20,000 BC Bog Oak, eh? That is some sweet looking wood.

I don't see that bog oak lasting real long....All of it is really nice stuff!

20,000 BC Bog Oak, eh? That is some sweet looking wood.

A couple were from a piece marked 20,000 BC and a different piece was marked 3000 BC.
There are scattered cracks in the wood so I was going to send some in for stabilizing. Will probably still require some fills.
It is not all dark black, lot of olive colored portions. Most are cut quartersawn so it gets the flecks and rays.

The guy who sent me the wood said they had been cutting it into sheets of veneer for the cabin interiors of yachts and private jets.
This was some of the stuff he had set aside for himself. Part of the deal with him is that I have to send him photos showing how it gets used.

Very nice stuff. I still have a few 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sticks of 40+ year old Brazilian rosewood that I got from a custom pool cue supply house here in Florida. I also bought a 2 x 2 x 30 log of amboyna from him a couple of years ago that didn't have a single flaw or void in the whole piece and was dense enough to be used unstabilized. Its gone now, of course.:biggrin: I can't wait to see how that amboyna you have turns out, although the downside is that the natural stuff smells like you are baking spice cake when you grind it whereas stabilized wood smells like you are laying up the hull of a cheap Ranger bass boat.:lol2:

My boss sent me on a spur of the moment trip to pick up a 9 foot redwood slab for a dining set order we will be building. He gave me a pocket full of money in case I saw anything I needed.

I got some really nice Lace Redwood Burl.
Some orange, some red/purple, some of the flashy curly old growth root and a piece of what might be black redwood (don't know till I cut it).

I will take photos tomorrow.
I am trying to stop myself from saying the best I have ever seen. Because every time I do something better or different comes along.

My boss sent me on a spur of the moment trip to pick up a 9 foot redwood slab for a dining set order we will be building. He gave me a pocket full of money in case I saw anything I needed.

I got some really nice Lace Redwood Burl.
Some orange, some red/purple, some of the flashy curly old growth root and a piece of what might be black redwood (don't know till I cut it).

I will take photos tomorrow.
I am trying to stop myself from saying the best I have ever seen. Because every time I do something better or different comes along.

You can just box that up and send it to me...Save you the trouble of saying it is the best you have ever seen....I will say its the best i ever got to cut up! :p hahaha
CANT wait for pics....I love me some redwood.....

Mike

Here is what I got yesterday.
If we weren't getting the big tabletop slab, I would have been able to get a lot more.
Guess I will make another trip next week. A year ago I couldn't get good lace redwood. But now the guys are hungry and they are breaking out their stashes.
I haven't done anything to it yet.
As I cut and sand I will take some more photos.

1st photo shows a piece of Lace burl, left piece is figured root (the real dense flashy stuff, and middle is what I think might be black redwood.
rt001.jpg

Closeup of lace burl
rt002.jpg

Closeup of figured root
rt004.jpg

Now some burl slabs
rt006.jpg

Orange/gold lace burl
rt007.jpg

Purple-ish burl
rt008.jpg

I gave the black redwood a quick pressure washing and then cut in half for pieces I could manage on the big bandsaw.

It didn't turn out to be the all black redwood I was expecting but still good stuff. Looks like this will have bands of purple and black with some small areas of orange.

rt009.jpg

Those are some great looking pieces. Nice find.

That orange lace burl looks absolutely spectacular!!!

DarkHOeK

I cut and sanded a block from each of the different type burl pieces.

The lace whole burl on the left, center is the orange-ish slab and the purple-ish slab on the right.

4.jpg

I like them all.

Here are a few closer photos in the same order.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Those make me think of nerve cells in brain tissue!

Those make me think of nerve cells in brain tissue!

It is brain tissue.

Not many people know that trees are sentient beings.
The burl is really the brain. On smart trees that is.
Dumb trees don't have brains, I mean burls.
Just don't quote me on this. It's supposed to be a secret.
If you do.......
The next thing you know this post will be quoted as expert proof on one of those cryptozoology websites.

I like these a lot!! I allready have some of those old stock redwood burls both stabilized and unstabilized, but you know, one can never have to much burl in stock. Advertizing car
as we speak :D

DarkHOeK

How cool wouldn't one of those slabs be for a cutting board!? :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

DarKHOEK

Latest posts

Back