Mounting stones at an angle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard Jon from JKI mention that traditional sharpeners in Japan mount their stones at a slight angle. Anyone here do that? If so, is the angle pointing up/toward you or down/away from you? Also what benefit might this provide?

the angles people use vary... but its a slight decline away from you (i.e. the higher side is nearest to you). You can see this in most of my sharpening videos.

I also found it beneficial to have the stones on an angle. For me it seems to follow the natural arm movements involved in the process.

Made a stone holder with the angle included with a stop block for the stone to rest against. Uploading a couple photos. This is the first attempt, have a few ideas for improvement, but found it a lot easier than working on the stones flat.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1427137397.092817.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1427137518.134416.jpg

the angles people use vary... but its a slight decline away from you (i.e. the higher side is nearest to you). You can see this in most of my sharpening videos.

This is interesting. What's the idea behind it? What is the benefit?

I suppose one can maintain a very consistent angle throughout the whole length of the blade with such setup without the use of angle guides. Ancient Chinese swordsmiths sharpened swords like this too, same with samurai swords.

There are times that I put the further end of stone higher than the part nearer to body and I imagine so hopefully that towards the further end.. the pressure on the knife is maintained as opposed to the pressure tapering off when the the further end is lower..

IF i am right.. pressure has to be adjusted accordingly as so desired..

Check it out..

rgds and hv fun... D

Latest posts

Back