Can someone help me price my 8.4 sun carter sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokbot

Reaction score
This knife was made in 2011. I was always afraid of taking this knife to work. So this knife is like new with origional edge.
2015-03-22%2B21.03.23.jpg
2015-03-22%2B21.03.31.jpg

In 2011, Kuro-uchi blades over 6.5 sun were priced at $46 per sun. Your knife would have cost $46 x 8.4 or $386.40. That figure probably undervalues your knife. Recently a 7.8 sun Kuro-uchi sujihiki with a custom handle sold for $450.

Hope this helped.

thanks Tiger I'm glad to hear Carter's have held their value or even appreciated a bit.

-Loki

Sold my 9.5 Sun SFGZ (not kuro uchi) not too long ago at a forum auction for $670ish IIRC. Clearly more than what I paid but less than what a new one would cost me.

Stefan

Carter charges exponentially more for knives over 6 or 7 sun. I guessed new replacement cost at around $1K before reading comments, but that is probably more in line with a gyuto.

Is Carter really any better than many other white #1 knives in the price range? He talks of thin but are they laser thin at the edge? And how are the grinds on his high-end fully finished knives? Just curious.

Rick

Carter charges exponentially more for knives over 6 or 7 sun. I guessed new replacement cost at around $1K before reading comments, but that is probably more in line with a gyuto.

Is Carter really any better than many other white #1 knives in the price range? He talks of thin but are they laser thin at the edge? And how are the grinds on his high-end fully finished knives? Just curious.

Rick

There is a 50% increase in price per sun for knives over 6.5 sun. Hardly exponential.

My last new knife from Murray was back in early 2012, so I can't speak to his current offerings, but the knives I've had of his are as thin behind the edge as any I've owned. His reputation is earned.

Thanks for all of the attention guys. I'm waiting out my 30 day period before I can put this knife up in the for sale forum. Looking forward to your interest in this amazing knife.

Back