D. Martell Hiromoto Re-Handle Group Buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
If I was to do another Hiromoto AS re-handle group buy would anyone be interested?

attachment.php

P1010002.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010009.JPG

Yep me, and I want to be earlier than #21

After using the one you sharpened for my saute cook, yeah I'd consider it this time. Maybe a suji.

Wait. You're doing the thinning again? I thought you were through with that?

Well I have done some lately but I have to get the customer's permission to leave it sort of crappily finished. You see the problem with doing thinning work on the Hiro AS's is the finish work it takes to remove the scratches from the crappy cladding is HUGE.

Basically you have two choices here....1) Use fine belts to thin which doesn;t make deep scratches but takes forever and is easy to burn the edge...OR......2) Simply thin as normal and do your best to remove the scratches but ignore what can't come out. If you try to grind out the deep scratches you get from anything 120x or coarser you burn through the cladding exposing the core in spots. It's a no win here unless the purpose of thinning is performance over cosmetics and then it's worth considering.

So yes I do thin them as long as you can live with some grind lines.

The lines were only visible upon closer inspection. Like, "Oh yeah, there they are, now I see what Dave was talking about." And really only those who know what work was done knew they were there. Most of the time the knife just looks so badass that you don't really notice it.

But yeah, I want a suji!

Yeah it's not very noticeable but it bugs me to have to make that sort of decision in my work and to have to mention it to the customer. The Hiro AS's are thankfully unique with this problem.

Oh and I have to mention that should this happen that I have to consider this secondary to the knifemaking since I have taken deposits on that months ago. The plan would be to slip these in between as it's often easy to do this when doing multiple handle work. It's easy to tackle multiple handles at the same time so when I'm at a point where I am doing Martell knife handles I can do Hiro handles too without take much time away from the knifemaking, it's like assembly work. I suspect that by the time I would get the knives from Japan I'll be well on my way through my own knives anyway.

I'm kinda interested in a suji, it would depend in the final price this time around.

I need 15 knives to be able to do this, that's the wholesale price break point.

I'd be interested in the suji as well but my bank account is drained at the moment. If this is a few months out I would be more game.

300mm Suji would be great. Timeframe works for me.

Wow, this is tempting if for no other reason then Dave previously swore he would never undertake something like this again :)

Dave,
You do an amazing job with the hiromoto as knives.

What would the price point be on a 240mm suji? Also can you do the g3 too?

-Christian

What would the price point be on a 240mm suji? Also can you do the g3 too?

-Christian

Welcome to KKF Christian :)

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a 240mm Hiro AS suji but in any event I don't have access to it if it does exist.

Sorry, the G3 line isn't included in this, it'd be for AS only.

Thanks! This forum is great. Unfortunately the AS line is just out of my budget, but thanks. I was referred over to this post so i though i'd see what it was all about.

-Christian

You're keeping very busy, when are you going to have time to do the butcher set?

Seems like there is a lot of interest in a 210mm suji, from reading other threads.

Any chance they could make these available to you?

Latest posts

Back