Quantcast
Audio added to Japanese kitchen knife types Db
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio added to Japanese kitchen knife types Db

Audio added to Japanese kitchen knife types Db

Hi All,

Audio support for Japanese kitchen knife types and styles database was completed today. In other words, besides descriptions and definitions now we have their pronunciation in Japanese.

Special thanks to Jon and Sara (http://japaneseknifeimports.com) for spending their time and effort to record the audio. For majority of the entries there is a small speaker icon, which when clicked will display audio player popup and, hopefully it will work Same works in the detail view.
    Also, fixed a bug accidentally introduced some time ago, when detail views for the names containing spaces were not accessible.

I've tested on all major latest browsers (FF8, IE9, Chrome 16, Opera 11), 3 different OS systems (Win 7, win Xp, Mac os). That part was the most annoying to be honest, aside form the fact that even latest and greatest browsers differ in their implementation and capabilities of "standard" html5 audio control, which sucks big time.
    Support for older browsers was also implemented, however keep in mind to play mp3 or ogg files in old browsers you will need some sort of audio plugin present.

If you encounter problems, please let me know.

And as usual, if you have pix of the knives that are in the database but have no images please share. Or, if you know about a type of Japanese kitchen knife that's not in the db, share the wisdom

P.S. For those waiting for the knife steel chart app for the iphone - it's in progress. I'd say ~60% completed.

we know some of the sound clips are messed up and we are working on new versions... also we missed a couple in our rush to get these done. We'll try to get new stuff done as soon as we can.

Anyways thanks to Zvi for putting this all together.

Excellent work everyone!
    Very helpful and interesting.
    Glen

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Terrific! Can't believe how totally off most of my pronunciations were. ;-) Thanks for all the work you must have done.

Great resource. Lots of work. Thanks Gator/Jon/Sara!

Awesome! Thanks for doing that, very helpful!

The sound file doesn't seem to work with Safari. Is this normal?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Great resource. Lots of work. Thanks Gator/Jon/Sara!
    I have yet to hear anything, but +1 to this project. Thanks.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Spike - No it is not normal. There was a bug, safari was attempting to play ogg file instead of mp3. If you refresh page (shift + refresh) you should get new javascript which will do the right thing. If shift + refresh won't do, clear browser cache.
    Dinky - What OS and browser are you using?

Works now! Thanks Gator!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig