Quantcast
Jon , I see your carrying Monzaburo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon , I see your carrying Monzaburo

Jon , I see your carrying Monzaburo

any inclination to begin carrying his 240/270's Honyaki blades?

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html

I have always kind of been intrigued by these knives , would love to see if you could get some in and do some reviews , his honyaki's start at about 600 dollars , I have always been curious as to the quality

I think MadRookie owns one but I can not remember entirely

Quote Originally Posted by joex175 View Post
    any inclination to begin carrying his 240/270's Honyaki blades?

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html

I think MadRookie owns one but I can not remember entirely
    He sold it back in early May, for half of what he paid for it.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    He sold it back in early May, for half of what he paid for it.
    did he not enjoy it? I thought I remember him describing it as quite a laser with great geometry

should I pass on these?

I also am looking at a Mizuno Tanrenjo Suminagashi 240mm in Blue 2 , Koki has one he will sell me and I know salty spoke super highly of this knife , but its 1200 dollars which is in the same range as other makers Honyaki's , and twice as much as Monzaburo's in this case

The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?
    I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated
    You'll find him on the other forum, not here.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

thanks for that pens , didnt realize thank you

I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

I see. My bad. I'd call the suminigashi medium thickness. That's why I like it for an all arounder. If you're going to drop that kind of coin I'd seriously look at the Masamoto honyaki @ $1000. It makes a great counterpart to a work horse.

thanks salty , I think your and I's oppinions of knives are pretty similar , while I appreciate a laser I prefer a more medium thick knife , my knives I use cuurrently is a 270 Tanaka gyuto , 240mm DT ITK , and a 240 Ichimonji TKC which has been heavily sharpened on one side and I only use for special occasions.

I will check that masamoto out , I got a PM from the current owner of the Monzaburo 240mm Honyaki in White 2 that MadRookie used to own , he confirmed that it is indeed a laser .

I cant wait to hear your review of del's new carbon gyuto , I would really like to support one of these makers with my money , I definitely want a carbon knife for my next purchase and I am about to
    I think step up to the next price point of kitchen knives , whether that ends at 600 or 1000 I am not quite sure yet , Michael Rader & Delbert & Stephan are all really making some impressive knives , as well as HHH

I am flip flopping every day on this decision haha

Again - Thanks Salty your oppinion I value greatly , will look closer at the masamoto and see how I can go about perhaps getting one in person

haha... seems like you got your questions answered without my help

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

+ Reply to Thread