Japanese Knives Jon , I see your carrying Monzaburo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He sold it back in early May, for half of what he paid for it.

did he not enjoy it? I thought I remember him describing it as quite a laser with great geometry

should I pass on these?

I also am looking at a Mizuno Tanrenjo Suminagashi 240mm in Blue 2 , Koki has one he will sell me and I know salty spoke super highly of this knife , but its 1200 dollars which is in the same range as other makers Honyaki's , and twice as much as Monzaburo's in this case

The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?

The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?

I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated

I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated

I see. My bad. I'd call the suminigashi medium thickness. That's why I like it for an all arounder. If you're going to drop that kind of coin I'd seriously look at the Masamoto honyaki @ $1000. It makes a great counterpart to a work horse.

thanks salty , I think your and I's oppinions of knives are pretty similar , while I appreciate a laser I prefer a more medium thick knife , my knives I use cuurrently is a 270 Tanaka gyuto , 240mm DT ITK , and a 240 Ichimonji TKC which has been heavily sharpened on one side and I only use for special occasions.

I will check that masamoto out , I got a PM from the current owner of the Monzaburo 240mm Honyaki in White 2 that MadRookie used to own , he confirmed that it is indeed a laser .

I cant wait to hear your review of del's new carbon gyuto , I would really like to support one of these makers with my money , I definitely want a carbon knife for my next purchase and I am about to
I think step up to the next price point of kitchen knives , whether that ends at 600 or 1000 I am not quite sure yet , Michael Rader & Delbert & Stephan are all really making some impressive knives , as well as HHH

I am flip flopping every day on this decision haha

Again - Thanks Salty your oppinion I value greatly , will look closer at the masamoto and see how I can go about perhaps getting one in person

haha... seems like you got your questions answered without my help ;)

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

Although I have to say, Jon has more experience with a wider variety of knives than I have. I can only comment on the ones I've used. He has access to all kinds of stuff and knows his stuff.

I said "stuff"? what the **** is wrong with me?

haha... too much time online... it will do that to you. Take a shot of whiskey and work the line for the night... that will fix you right back up :p

Scott, I had a Salty Dog tonight, made me think of you. It's up to 110 here in Texas, and it really hit the spot. :eek:fftopic:

Scott, I had a Salty Dog tonight, made me think of you. It's up to 110 here in Texas, and it really hit the spot. :eek:fftopic:

The heat/humidity out here are insane. My a/c at home is cranked but the place won't get below 85 or 90. I miss L.A. Life in TX would be a bit cooler if Jon would open up a JKI out here. Back on topic, the Gesshin Ino honyaki gyuto is around 1k if I'm not mistaken. I'd definately be hawkin' that one as well.

Back