Sous Vide Pork Belly

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
So I went into my local pork store last week and just mentioned pork belly to the owner, this week as I was leaving he mentioned he got some with "rind on" for me. So I did a salt pepper garlic on top of veggies on the grill for some of it yesterday and it was pretty good, however I would like to try and sous vide it, any tips or recipes?

steve:spiteful:

old school is so much better to me, just love the texture, cure it, smoke it (preferably cherry wood), confit it for like 3 hours

All I know about confit is that it cooking protein slowly in oil. Never actually cooked it but quite enjoyed the results. Thinking it might be nice to make over Easter.

ok here is my recipe:

1 Korean style pork belly
Duck fat (around 16oz) just enough to almost cover the belly, but not totally, b/c when you confit the belly fat will render out of the belly, and cause a huge mess of the oven (ask me how I know this lol)
Green Salt (recipe to follow)
20 Black Peppercorns
5 Bay Leafs

make sure the vessel you are using is warmed up a little bit first, or else the skin will stick to it.

Green Salt
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch tarragon
60 oz salt
put all the ingredients in a spice grinder and buzz up until a nice green color, but not too much or it will become pasty
Procedure:

preaheat the oven to 300 ,melt the duck fat in a sauce pan Heat the cooking vessel slightly, place the pork belly skin side down, generously rub the green salt all over the meat side of the belly, be sure not to rub it on the fat or skin side, or you will end up with speckles from the salt on the skin and the appearance won't be super nice, spread the peppercorns and bay leafs evenly across the belly, pour the duck fat until the belly is almost covered leaving a centimeter or two not submerged, place parchment over the top first, then foil, making sure the foil is tightly secured, place in the oven at 300 for 4 hours

Thanks I will give it a shot in a couple of weeks.

I hate confit pork belly
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1427763907.197095.jpg

oh I also forgot a VERY important part Rami

let it cool after it comes out of the oven, then press it and refrigerate for 10 hours or so, or else it will fall apart like above

All I know about confit is that it cooking protein slowly in oil. Never actually cooked it but quite enjoyed the results. Thinking it might be nice to make over Easter.

Rami, when confit proteins it's better to slow cook in fat not oil e.g pork belly in pork fat, duck Maryland in duck fat etc. Oil is more for confit Veges or Garlic etc. you can just use oil but fat is better :)

Rami, when confit proteins it's better to slow cook in fat not oil e.g pork belly in pork fat, duck Maryland in duck fat etc. Oil is more for confit Veges or Garlic etc. you can just use oil but fat is better :)

Ok. How to get pork fat? Anything special or just try to melt some cut offs?

Ok. How to get pork fat? Anything special or just try to melt some cut offs?

Try your local butcher or a fancier specialty butcher. They should have some. I know vics meats sells it but I think they are mainly a restaurant supplier. Or as you said render down some offcuts.

ok, so I brinned and sous vide it (158 for 13 hours), now I chilled it and I am letting it rest in the fridge (skin on). Question is I am going to cut up some portions to do in a pan tonight and maybe some for the grill, can I freeze the rest? How long does this stay good for if only refrigerated? Was thinking about bringing some for easter dinner. Heres some pics from brinned, bagged, sous vide

Next time you should "press" the pork belly after cooking. Pretty important step IMO. By press I mean put weight on top of it to flatten it to a shape that has uniform thickness.

Next time you should "press" the pork belly after cooking. Pretty important step IMO. By press I mean put weight on top of it to flatten it to a shape that has uniform thickness.

That's a good trick, Geoff. Thank.

Pressing is crucial in my experience, makes a huge difference

I have never sous vide pork belly before, but I am assuming it is the same principle no?

Yes for SV too if not your PB will turn into grenades when you pan fry them them. Also, press the bellies when they are warm. The goal of pressing it to drive an subcutaneous moisture out.

these came out basically disgusting, my first attempt on a grill turned out way better, I still have half in the fridge, it is almost grey. Heres some pics from the first try this weekend. I went 525ish for about 20 minutes then 300 ish for 3 hours, also a bell evans chicken in there

Um, this might be obvious to point out but you need to finish it after SV in a pan or grill. The water bath is only half the equation

Um, this might be obvious to point out but you need to finish it after SV in a pan or grill. The water bath is only half the equation

Rami I prefer pan , you will get flare up on grill and by pan searing you can convert the fat layer to crackling texture , I have posted pics of the way I do on Instagram while ago , don't seen to have it on my phone

of course, it hit it with really high heat in a carbon pan afterwards, there is just something missing from it

Back