Thread: Paring knives, questions

Paring knives, questions

Hello and good day..
    I have some unbelievable mosaic damascus thats just screaming at me to use.. And because of its size, I was thinking of tryin to make a couple paring knives..

I have a few questions.

Is High Carbon damascus a acceptable blade type for a paring knife? if not, why?
    Whats your favorite style paring knife? blade shape.
    Whats the "standard" thickness of a good paring knife?
    Full tang or Wa style handles?

Any other info or input is welcomed..

If These work out, I will be posting WIP pics and the finished knives here. So please help me out so I dont miss the mark..

Thanks
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

While I approve wholeheartedly the use of carbon steel in a kitchen, Parers tend to get abused more than other types of knives, so I'd keep it stainless. That's not to say that there isn't a place for carbon parers, I grew up with one.

I have hated every paring knife I have ever held.

Thickness usually matches the forward half of the chef's knife it accompanies.

Handle really doesn't matter because they don't get hammered around, so it's totally visual.

I love fine paring knives and treat them like a precision instrument. I'd definitely choose a western handle over a wa handle. My favorite paring knife is my Wusthof Ikon blackwood. The handle fits my hand just right and it has a subtle detent for your index finger. If you wanted to make a pair I'd go with a 3.5" and a 6" set.

Why don't you show u what the Damascus looks like?

OK, here are some photos.
    If I were doing a matching set, full tang 3 1/2 and 6 Im thinking Feather pattern damascus and for a solo 3 to 3 1/2 Paring knife this mosaic piece.

I Just looked at the Wusthof Ikon blackwood. it looks like a comfortable and solid design.

Thanks for your input John. appreciate it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrys feather billet 015.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	1271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH Damascus , Musk Ox scales 021.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	1270  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I cant tell for the pro kitchen, but for the home kitchen a parer will get much use. My GF loves small knives for those small tasks. She uses it for fruit, berries and vegetables. The parer is ideal for work in mid air (dont know how to explain this, but this means that you dont lay thing down on a cutting board, but cut it while holding it in).

For me the ideal length is 3", and I guess for most females this is the best length as well. I love a small damscus parer
    Stainless vs Carbon = the user will have opinions. For me: Im a stainless man, but starts to love sanmai with carbon core

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    For me the ideal length is 3", and I guess for most females this is the best length as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    For me the ideal length is 3", and I guess for most females this is the best length as well.
    LOL!!! That may be easily misunderstood if only that part is read..

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    LOL!!! That may be easily misunderstood if only that part is read..
    Okay, I'll harp on this too. Don't believe everything your girlfriends tell you!