Need a knife & sharpening equipment to compliment my Moritaka 300mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajack17

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Backup knife for my Moritaka 300mm

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese Wa preferred

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~210mm but not picky

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I keep my moritaka's edge very acute for push cutting and slicing meat. Looking for a knife to handle the tasks that put my Moritaka at risk of chipping (cutting hard squash, semi-frozen food, etc)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Right now I use a Kiwi knife as backup for harder foods but the handle is falling off andd I'm looking for something a bit nicer

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
#1 push cut #2 mincing/rock chop #3 Chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
mentioned above. Take the rough work off my Moritaka so I don't have to re-sharpen it as much

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Zero preference on aesthetics. Non-slip handle. I like octagonal Wa handles but its not a necessity

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I use lighter knives mostly but am open to suggestion

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
It would be cool to have a really sharp knife out of the box. This isn't super important though. Something that takes a really sharp, quick edge on my ceramic sharpening steel would be ideal

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
1000/6000 King Stone
MAC black cermaic sharpening rod

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
--

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Very open to a variety of knives. Simply looking to learn more from this community and enjoy the feel of a new knife. Use above as a guideline but do not rule something out if you really like a particular knife

For the knife. Think basic. This is a beater. A workhorse not a knife to model. I use a henckles pro series. You most likely want the softer more durable steel. German knives are great in this regard. I actually found my bread knife outside a few days ago. Most of been covered by snow and mud all winter. Still good as new. Wustof is another reputable brand as is victorox ( best cheap knife in existance in my opinion) albeit I prefer henckels. If you need something fancier I'd go for a misino. A nice sweedish stainless steel. People here seem to love. No personal experience myself. As far as sharpening. I have a 1000 5000 8000 and 12000 grit naniwa super stones. They are cheap and work well. I recently snapped my tip on a knife and the 1000 reshapped it and the 5000 polished it. You could probably buy the knife and stones I suggested for $300 total. And have enough change for a bottle of makers.

I too would go for a softer blade, but not for a soft German stainless as I find it particulary unpleasant to sharpen. And you will sharpen it a lot. Go for a basic, not overly hard carbon. A Misono Swedish, AKA Dragon, with a very conservative edge, would be a great performer.

Awesome! Thanks guys. Big fan of Victorinox and the Misono sounds promising. I'll probably stick with the Victorinox and get some finer grit stones, then follow up with the Misono when I'm feeling looser with my budget.

Excellent choice. Victorox is king of budget blades.

Back