Single stone success!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'd like to share my sharpening experience tonight.
My Kono HD was feeling a little dull after getting a workout these past few days in the kitchen so i took it to the stones. I decided to see what kind of edge i could get using just my Gesshin 1000. To my surprise the edge i was able to get is scary sharp and aggressive as hell. I chased the burr back and forth, then did a few strops and a lateral draw to deburr. Ran over a cork and did a few strop strokes on loaded balsa. Shaves hair, cuts through the fold of magazine paper and could barely move my fingers on the 3 finger test. Gotta give props to the HD steel. I've never sharpened a simple carbon but it must be a breeze if its easier than this. Raises a burr in no time. Can't wait to wreak havoc on some vegetables tomorrow! Anyway, I feel like like I've turned another corner on sharpening which makes me wanna share.

Shows you what can be done with one stone, and a medium is where it's at. And all that hype about going finer and finer... A good med and technique and you're there, I think

I think 1000 grit stone is very versatile. I normally sharpen my german blades on #1000 stone and get a quite respectable level of sharpness but not anywhere near the J knives.

Very cool. I'll have to try this on a naniwa 1000 or Bester 1200. Never even thought about doing this

Back