• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kochi carbon 240mm gyuto, Tim Johnson handle, sharpened by Dave M.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my kettle grill has started falling apart after a lot of use and I've got my sights set on a Big Green Egg. Something's gotta go. I'm a homecook, mostly on the weekends, and this is just too big for me. 210mm gyutos are what I always pick up.

Got this 240mm Kochi from Jon at JKI maybe a year or two ago and had it sharpened by Dave Martell. There is light scratching on the wide bevels as no matter what stone he threw at it, he couldn't find a good balance between a good misty finish and polish towards the edge. It is an amazing cutter. Super thin at the edge and just falls through food. Handle is stabilized curly walnut and bog oak with mammoth spacer done by Tim Johnson.

It's been used maybe 20 minutes at most, mostly to make paper thin slices of onion.

Full blade specs here: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ives/kochi/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html

$355 PayPal'd/shipped and insured via USPS Priority mail within the US. Outside US, we can figure it out. I have no idea if this is a good price or bad, but it's what at least feels fair to get out of it. New, it's $265 (Jon is out of stock). Handle was around $140 made/installed, sharpening around $50. Original box not pictured but is included.

Proverbial "hate to see it go" applies :( Anything that appears like a microchip is only glare.

dscn1101.jpg
dscn1103.jpg
dscn1104.jpg
dscn1105.jpg
dscn1106.jpg
dscn1138.jpg
dscn1139.jpg
dscn1140.jpg
dscn1142.jpg
dscn1145.jpg

Thanks!
Brian

If I weren't pumping the brakes on knife buying, I'd be all over this. Kochi knives are simply amazing cutters for certain. Somebody is going to be pretty happy with this

That is a stunning kochi. Makes me miss mine! I would be all over that if I were in the US. Someone will be happy.

Wish I got paid this week. I'd be all over this if I was more in the black.

Back