Kurouchi coming off

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
anyone else experience the kurouchi coming off gradually when slicing citrus?

there's no real way of replacing the finish either, is there?

-fred

If you take the polish off make sure you force a patina ASAP, the iron can be super reactive.

All Kurouchi is not created equal. Yoshikane and Heiiji (among others) have taken it to an art form with Kurouchi Damascus. Carter and Shig are very robust. Citrus doesn't touch it. I've also had a inexpensive Kurouchi that came off with a sponge. I'm sure the majority lie somewhere in the middle.

Most knives with s**t kurouchi come lacquered. Once that has gone, you are on somewhat dodgy ground - while most soft iron clad knives will passivate to an acceptable level, I've had a couple which are essentially no longer fit for purpose (i.e. they taint food and rust on sight, resisting a robust patina).

My masakage mizu for example lost his kurouchi finish and after the then it's no longer the good knife it used to be before. Be careful with the kurouchi, try to keep it as long as you can. 😉

Ku finish really different from maker to maker . I too agree with Timthebeaver some of them become problematic after they loose the Ku and don't take patina as good but i haven't had personal experience with them .

I never had an issue with takeda finish or watanabe KU finish , i have seen tojiro loose the ku in one of my crew knifes.

The kurouchi on both my masakage Koishi and Murata seems to be durable after a year or two. I might say the finish on the koishi is somewhat more durable as murata does have a few lighter spots. Both in regular rotation in a home kitchen.

Never had it happen to me. But my only Ku finished knife is a Carter. It has held up well but I honestly haven't really used it much.

good to know it's only mine that does it, i've been thinking of upgrading to a Koishi. to be fair im not even sure what "brand" it is.

i'll post pics when my new phone comes in, hopefully someone can help me identify it

-fred

Is ku finish purely for aesthetic or does it serve certain functions (i.e. food release or corrosion resistance?)

Is ku finish purely for aesthetic or does it serve certain functions (i.e. food release or corrosion resistance?)

Not sure about food release but it definitely helps with corrosion and relativity.

Back