Quantcast
Help - Red Velvet Cake Recipe Needed - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Red Velvet Cake Recipe Needed

i've made the test kitchen recipe and everyone i gave it to was impressed by it and said it was th ebest red velvet cake they ever had.....i thought it was ok...sort of tasted devil foody but different.....it was good....but i am no expert of red velvet.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Huh... never had much of a reaction to red velvet cakes either way. I will be using it to try this this Halloween, so maybe I'll try the test kitchen recipe for it.

What is the difference between chocolate cake and devils food cake?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I could be wrong on this, but I've been told that devil's food will use cocoa powder rather than chocolate, and that this substitution causes the cake to be moister... Never seemed like a great explanation to me, though, and why that substitution would result in a moister cake is also not clear to me...

Nevermind. I should have looked at Wikipedia before posting.

"Devil's food cake is generally more moist and airy than other chocolate cakes, and often uses cocoa as opposed to chocolate for the flavor as well as coffee.[1] The lack of melted chocolate and the addition of coffee is typically what distinguishes a 'devil's food cake' from a chocolate cake, though some recipes call for all, resulting in an even richer chocolate flavor. The use of hot, or boiling water as the cake's main liquid, rather than milk, is also a common difference.

Devil's food cake is sometimes distinguished from other chocolate cakes by the use of additional baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) which raises the pH level and makes the cake a deeper and darker mahogany color.[1] Devil's food cake incorporates butter (or a substitute), egg whites, flour (while some chocolate cakes are flourless) and less egg than other chocolate cakes.[1] Devil's food cake was introduced in the United States in the early 20th century with the recipe in print as early as 1905.[2]"

Thanks! I should have looked it up myself, I suppose, butt now everyone knows!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If you look online for recipes be carful, red velvet recipes can be screwy with vinegar being added and butter milk, I made one for my fiances bday and it turnded out like crap, a good lesson in why you should always test a baking recipe before you make it, especially when it was from the internet

+ Reply to Thread