Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Red Velvet Cake Recipe Needed

Help - Red Velvet Cake Recipe Needed

Hi People, can I ask for help please.

Does anyone's restaurant (or does any gifted home chef) have an awesome red velvet cake recipe that you don't mind sharing with me? I need it for a special occasion, and it isn't a local thing.

Any help at all will be massively appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, no recipe, but YUCK!

i found this for you, it's debatable on whether or not this is the "original" but I have to go along with jheis on this one.

WALDORF ASTORIA RED VELVET CAKE
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    2 oz. red food coloring (2 - 1 oz. bottles)
    1 tsp. cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. vinegar
    1 c. buttermilk

Cream sugar, eggs, and shortening. Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa. Add to mixture; add flour with salt alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla. Last of all fold in vinegar and baking soda mixture.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes in 2 (9-inch) pans. (For a nice Valentine's Day treat, bake in heart shaped pans.)

FROSTING:

1 stick butter
    1/2 c. Crisco
    1 c. milk
    1 c. confectioners sugar
    2 tbsp. flour
    1 tsp. vanilla

Cook flour with milk until thick; cool. Cream sugar, butter, shortening and vanilla with mixture for 10 minutes (until light and fluffy). Blend in cool flour and milk mixture. Frost cake and decorate as able.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't red velvet cake just chocolate cake dyed red?

In a nutshell, Yes. But for arguments sake, I would have to say the difference being the amount of cocoa or chocolate in the mix, baking soda/powder, and the addition of red food coloring which may turn some people off because of its perceived or real health hazards. Originally, I believe the red coloring was made with beets, which in turn gave it a velvet texture,hence the name.

I guess it's a mental thing to some, like green ketchup, or purple sauces.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't red velvet cake just chocolate cake dyed red?
    No it is not. It is a variation on devil's food. The reaction between the alkali in the dutch process cocoa powder and the baking soda produces a red tinge to the cake, which people have chosen to accentuate with red food coloring. As for a recipe I am told that martha stewart has a few good ones, also I am told to find a recipe that uses oil, it will react better with the food coloring. Sorry but my girl will not share her recipe with me so I'm not even gonna ask if I can post it here.

No worries, as for the yuck part... hmm this is my first attempt. It's gotta be done right for a friend, so not judging Thanks for the tips guys

Why would anyone make Red Velvet cake when they could make a Black Forest cake?

Why all the hate for Red Velvet cake? Personally, I like it.

-d

Haven't tried it myself, but here's Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen take on it: Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting