Heiji knifes - stainless vs semi stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyskr

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm about to order an heiji knife, and the final step is to decide rather I want the stainless or the semi-stainless.
I will use it in home environment, so carbon doesn't scare me. Which one you guys recommend?

Thank you guys in advance

Answer to follow in a few weeks as he kindly accepted to build a custom stainless knife we discussed!

I also really like the semi stainless. The cladding is a wonder, it feels more like iron than like stainless.

i have a heiji semi - and it's excellent however if i had the choice now i'd go carbon. i have more than enough time to baby my knives at home and just love love love the pure experience of carbon. that said, he really puts the 'semi' in stainless, it takes on a darker patina than my kato..

I've owned the semi-stainless and it was fine, I really would prefer carbon.

Hey guys,
I'm about to order an heiji knife, and the final step is to decide rather I want the stainless or the semi-stainless.
I will use it in home environment, so carbon doesn't scare me. Which one you guys recommend?

Thank you guys in advance

I've only had experience with his carbon and semi-stainless, but Heiji is well known here for his excellent semi-stainless knives. They sharpen like they were carbon, but have the advantages of stainless in terms of reactivity to foods.

Heiji's semi stainless feels much more fine grained than other semi stainless I've tried, it's more like carbon..... It doesn't react with acidic foods, but it does take on some patina.

I've tried both and prefer the semi stainless which is different from my usual carbon adicted self

How stain resistant is the the heiji comparing to other semi-stainless such as Kono HD2?

And is the cladding stainless or semi?

I like the Heiiji semi-stainless (but then I tend to favor stainless and semi-stainless in most any knife). No experience their carbon. Would suggest that sharpening/thinning a wide double bevel may be ambitious for someone new to the game.

I'ts really sounds like the semi-stainless is the favorite here.
daveb - What you said kind of worries me. Those knifes really needs a thinning? Is ot somthing I can ask the xompany doing for me?

I'ts really sounds like the semi-stainless is the favorite here.
daveb - What you said kind of worries me. Those knifes really needs a thinning? Is ot somthing I can ask the xompany doing for me?

the vast majority of knives need thinning after multiple sharpenings that dont involve thinning the primary bevel.

I will say I take what opportunities I get to sharpen to build up my skillset. When it comes time for me to sharpen my Heiji semi-stainless beyond micro-beveling, I will do the best I can. Maybe this isn't fair but IMO if you can afford to buy a Heiji for home use you can afford to send it back to Jon if you do a less than optimal job on the grind, or worst case replace the knife totally. Much like with my watch or any of my pens, I wont buy something I cant afford to replace.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have a clue here, why would anyone want a gyuto or suji with such thin geometry just behind the edge, yet such thick geometry so close to that edge? It's not a deba, so where is it an advantage?

Rick

Well ya I know it aides food release, but the Heiji is extreme compared to the something like the Kono Fujiyama. Seems it would greatly limit what you can do with it, but then again it must fulfill a need. So just out of curiosity, where exactly does this need begin and end?

Rick

Well ya I know it aides food release, but the Heiji is extreme compared to the something like the Kono Fujiyama. Seems it would greatly limit what you can do with it, but then again it must fulfill a need. So just out of curiosity, where exactly does this need begin and end?

Rick

Rick,

it's a bit of a tank but you can make nice thin slices with it just the same as any other knife.

I did a bit of cutting with a Kono Fuji blue and the stiction was incredible. Might be a nice knife but Heiji is worth the extra money IMO.

OK thanks, thought that might be all there was to it, a rather specialized "tank," but wasn't sure.

Rick

Latest posts

Back