stainless 210 gyuto around $100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobby

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a 210mm stainless gyuto as a gift. Looking at the misono moly, or the 440, but would like other opinions as well.

KNIFE TYPE
210mm gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$120

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Veggies primarily
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
stamped whustoff
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
rock
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
as this is a gift, better fit and finish would be nice.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
bamboo
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
they dont sharpen, but I will help them when needed.

This. One of them anyway. I've gifted a few of the Suisin Western Inox, always well received. (180 pictured, 210 avail) Recently needed an inexpensive "visitor's" knife so tried the Gesshin Stainless 210. Both will meet your requirements. Suisin available from Korin. Gesshin avail from JKI. I've a slight preference for the Gesshin.

20150407_230803.jpg

I have the FKM too and I can confirm it is a very well made knife and a good cutter. I don't use it a lot because I have 60 other knives so I can't tell you anything about edge retention or sharpening yet. Another possibility might be a Tojiro DP.

Can anyone weigh in on how the suisin moly compares to a misono moly or the misono 440?

Can anyone weigh in on how the suisin moly compares to a misono moly or the misono 440?

I only have the Misono Moly 360 bread knife, so unfortunately can't give good feedback on edge retention or perfomance matters. F&F was better than expected (nice pakkwood handle), I removed the handle and will be doing a Wa conversion as a WIP when I have some time. As you probably know the 440 is a step up.

Back