Quantcast
Maker's Mark Oppinion Needed - See Picture Attached - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Maker's Mark Oppinion Needed - See Picture Attached

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    How about this one - marriages come and go, but a divorce is forever. Dry humor for the lucky ones.
    Yeah, that's good. I also think this would work: "When your on Facebook, your Ex wants to be your friend forever."

    k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, that's good. I also think this would work: "When your on Facebook, your Ex wants to be your friend forever."

    k.
    Not mine. She, incidentally, lives not too far from you and also has a Swedish connection.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,888
    I'd lose the "New York".

    I hate to say it but most folks in this country don't like New Yorkers.
    (I hate to say it even more but with good reason. (present company excepted)

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I'd lose the "New York".

    I hate to say it but most folks in this country don't like New Yorkers.
    (I hate to say it even more but with good reason. (present company excepted)
    So, what should I put in the second line instead of New York then? I think the logo looks better with two lines. To put Knives is kind of redundant, as is Knifeworks, Cutlery, etc. To leave just USA also is not a best solution, as it is too short by itself. Would Hand-Made be an acceptable choice? But it doesn't sound that great, I suppose.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  5. #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    210
    The geographic reference is traditional. It's where the knife is made, that's all. We can't all live in Big Sky, or Telluride. Personally, I'd like to have knife made in Lawndale, though I wouldn't want to live there.

  6. #16

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I'd lose the "New York".

    I hate to say it but most folks in this country don't like New Yorkers.
    (I hate to say it even more but with good reason. (present company excepted)
    I think most Noo Yawkahs feel that way about the rest of the country.

    Perhaps because "most folks" in this country can't, or won't, distinguish between NYC and the entire rest of the State? And that's a very ignorant and narrow minded world view and another topic altogether.

    But I disagree. I think that "New York" has the same connotations as "London" or "Paris". All these cities still have that elite status that people associate with a higher standard. Sure, they're all in some state of decline, but they're admired for what they once represented concretely, and now more abstractly. And this is good because most of this Country's other benchmarks are long gone. When you say 'steel', is Pittsburgh the first thing that come to mind? How about 'cars'? Detroit? Nope. What aspiring (fill in the blank) wants to move to, say, Duluth to make it big? See what I mean? (No offense to you Iowans.)

    Love it or hate it...and I'm NJ born & bred so you know which side of the fence I'm on...New York still has an allure to it. And nobody should be ashamed of where they call home.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I think most Noo Yawkahs feel that way about the rest of the country.

    Perhaps because "most folks" in this country can't, or won't, distinguish between NYC and the entire rest of the State? And that's a very ignorant and narrow minded world view and another topic altogether.

    But I disagree. I think that "New York" has the same connotations as "London" or "Paris". All these cities still have that elite status that people associate with a higher standard. Sure, they're all in some state of decline, but they're admired for what they once represented concretely, and now more abstractly. And this is good because most of this Country's other benchmarks are long gone. When you say 'steel', is Pittsburgh the first thing that come to mind? How about 'cars'? Detroit? Nope. What aspiring (fill in the blank) wants to move to, say, Duluth to make it big? See what I mean? (No offense to you Iowans.)

    Love it or hate it...and I'm NJ born & bred so you know which side of the fence I'm on...New York still has an allure to it. And nobody should be ashamed of where they call home.
    You know, I didn't think it this way, but I am using 1943 Bridgeport milling machine that was made in Bridgeport Connecticut (not too far away from me) long before it became a rust belt, most of my power-tools are US made - rarity these days, and I have almost nostalgic affection for old cast iron machines. Too bad my workshop is in a basement, otherwise I could have acquired a couple more.

    Your post gives me some encouragement. Everything I have done, the quality was first and foremost, and money was secondary and it will stay this way. If people find my knvies appealing for what they are, I don't think the fact that they were made in NY will turn them off. And if it does, than maybe they are not right customers for me from the start. I am not planning to flood the country with knives (it takes me 2 days to make a knife at the present time) to worry if if people take an issue with where I live and stereotype.

    Thanks, ecchef.

    Funny, I don't think I have any resentment, let alone hatred to people from any other state. There are people I will never talk religion or politics or gun rights with, but I don't think the divide is so strong that would inevitably lead to hatred. Maybe it's a New York thing - we are in a melting pot, so everybody has to get along. Even though I live in Westchester, most of of my 15 years or so here I lived in NYC. Would move there in a heart beat, if could afford it. Well, would probably move to Brooklyn.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    The geographic reference is traditional. It's where the knife is made, that's all. We can't all live in Big Sky, or Telluride. Personally, I'd like to have knife made in Lawndale, though I wouldn't want to live there.
    Lawndale? Really???!!! Is there an unknown knife making god in Lawndale???
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  9. #19

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,277
    I don't really hate NY Marko; just busting your chops.

    I've lived in Queens & UES. You take the good with the bad.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  10. #20

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Lawndale? Really???!!! Is there an unknown knife making god in Lawndale???
    Rumor has it there may be one in Fleetwood.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •