Maker's Mark Oppinion Needed - See Picture Attached

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
AT are initials of my first and last name. M (middle name) unfortunately doesn't fit well into a logo, so I am not going to use it. This is a work in progress, and I am exploring different fonts and sizes for the crest, but this should give you an idea how the logo would look in its final form.

All opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

M

LOGO1.jpg

My first impression is that it is a little "tight". Will the bottom line be legible when etched into the steel?
I like the AT.

I will have to discuss this with the stencil maker. I have never electro-etched before.

M

I like it. Nice fonts and it's compact.

Here is an improved version. Come to think, NY Yankees logo comes to mind. :)

LOGO2.jpg

Hey Marko,

2 suggestions:

1. I'd rather see a font with sharper edges, Trajan Pro comes to mind, and we know it engraves well.

Example:
TrajanPro.png

2. The logo: I'd look for a symbol before trying to get a combination of letters, it has worked great for Takeda (the heart) and Kramer (the 3 circles). If you want to use letter I'd try to stick to the "M" since you are already using it to sign your posts and your potential customers already recognize it as your mark.

Hope this helps

L.

I think it's very handsome and clean-looking. Hopefully, it works out well with the etching.

I like the clean look. Have you thought of just having a white 'M' (or 'A') in a black circle in front of Tsourkan? The criss-cross initials get a bit busy -- but not that much.

k.

The logo will look much less busy when reduced to the size, so I think much of the 'busy' look won't be noticeable. M introduces an extra variable and I tried my best to fit it in the logo, but could not come up with a good place for it. Not a big deal. I rarely use Marko outside forums.

Before coming up with this design, I considered using a Japanese crest with three triangles forming a larger triangle in a circle). My wife told me it reminded her of a fallout shelter sign, and after some hesitation, I let it go.

I have already spend much time coming up with the logo and making changes, so I will be glad when it is finalized and stencils are ordered. You won't believe how much time this can take.

Thank you very much for your input. You are not trashing the logo, so it must be not so bad.

M

PS: Drinky - yoiur signature is too funny. Just noticed. :) How about this one - marriages come and go, but a divorce is forever. Dry humor for the lucky ones.

Yeah, that's good. I also think this would work: "When your on Facebook, your Ex wants to be your friend forever."

k.

Not mine. She, incidentally, lives not too far from you and also has a Swedish connection.

M

I'd lose the "New York".

I hate to say it but most folks in this country don't like New Yorkers.
(I hate to say it even more but with good reason. (present company excepted)

I'd lose the "New York".

So, what should I put in the second line instead of New York then? I think the logo looks better with two lines. To put Knives is kind of redundant, as is Knifeworks, Cutlery, etc. To leave just USA also is not a best solution, as it is too short by itself. Would Hand-Made be an acceptable choice? But it doesn't sound that great, I suppose.

M

The geographic reference is traditional. It's where the knife is made, that's all. We can't all live in Big Sky, or Telluride. Personally, I'd like to have knife made in Lawndale, though I wouldn't want to live there.

I'd lose the "New York".

I think most Noo Yawkahs feel that way about the rest of the country.:razz:

Perhaps because "most folks" in this country can't, or won't, distinguish between NYC and the entire rest of the State? And that's a very ignorant and narrow minded world view and another topic altogether.

But I disagree. I think that "New York" has the same connotations as "London" or "Paris". All these cities still have that elite status that people associate with a higher standard. Sure, they're all in some state of decline, but they're admired for what they once represented concretely, and now more abstractly. And this is good because most of this Country's other benchmarks are long gone. When you say 'steel', is Pittsburgh the first thing that come to mind? How about 'cars'? Detroit? Nope. What aspiring (fill in the blank) wants to move to, say, Duluth to make it big? See what I mean? (No offense to you Iowans.)

Love it or hate it...and I'm NJ born & bred so you know which side of the fence I'm on...New York still has an allure to it. And nobody should be ashamed of where they call home.

I think most Noo Yawkahs feel that way about the rest of the country.:razz:

Perhaps because "most folks" in this country can't, or won't, distinguish between NYC and the entire rest of the State? And that's a very ignorant and narrow minded world view and another topic altogether.

But I disagree. I think that "New York" has the same connotations as "London" or "Paris". All these cities still have that elite status that people associate with a higher standard. Sure, they're all in some state of decline, but they're admired for what they once represented concretely, and now more abstractly. And this is good because most of this Country's other benchmarks are long gone. When you say 'steel', is Pittsburgh the first thing that come to mind? How about 'cars'? Detroit? Nope. What aspiring (fill in the blank) wants to move to, say, Duluth to make it big? See what I mean? (No offense to you Iowans.)

Love it or hate it...and I'm NJ born & bred so you know which side of the fence I'm on...New York still has an allure to it. And nobody should be ashamed of where they call home.

You know, I didn't think it this way, but I am using 1943 Bridgeport milling machine that was made in Bridgeport Connecticut (not too far away from me) long before it became a rust belt, most of my power-tools are US made - rarity these days, and I have almost nostalgic affection for old cast iron machines. Too bad my workshop is in a basement, otherwise I could have acquired a couple more.

Your post gives me some encouragement. Everything I have done, the quality was first and foremost, and money was secondary and it will stay this way. If people find my knvies appealing for what they are, I don't think the fact that they were made in NY will turn them off. And if it does, than maybe they are not right customers for me from the start. I am not planning to flood the country with knives (it takes me 2 days to make a knife at the present time) to worry if if people take an issue with where I live and stereotype.

Thanks, ecchef.

Funny, I don't think I have any resentment, let alone hatred to people from any other state. There are people I will never talk religion or politics or gun rights with, but I don't think the divide is so strong that would inevitably lead to hatred. Maybe it's a New York thing - we are in a melting pot, so everybody has to get along. Even though I live in Westchester, most of of my 15 years or so here I lived in NYC. Would move there in a heart beat, if could afford it. Well, would probably move to Brooklyn.

M

The geographic reference is traditional. It's where the knife is made, that's all. We can't all live in Big Sky, or Telluride. Personally, I'd like to have knife made in Lawndale, though I wouldn't want to live there.

Lawndale? Really???!!! Is there an unknown knife making god in Lawndale???

Well, if you're proud to be a New Yorker than you might as well put it on there. Who buys a knife for a logo after all?

Seriously though, if you weren't from New York I doubt you'd put "Dubuque" or Caledonia, or Naperville on there. *** is so special about NYC?

Just an observation.

I'm going to have to disagree with Salty on nixing "New York". Even though you don't live in the city when people see "New York", they're going to be thinking of NYC and there are a whole lot of truly fine products labeled "New York". With your skills at making handles, your knives are going to be very classy looking and there's no city in America classier than New York, NY.

You have to understand that after years of this business I've grown to hate people. NYC just has too many of them. It has to be difficult to walk down the street and not see one. They're all over the place!

I can't say I care too much for or against the New York in the logo. I like New York, actually. Regardless, the knife should "speak for itself," no? It looks good, Marko. If you're gonna write out your last name, maybe put your first two initials in the circle?

Less is more, as the snooty ***** used to say.

You know me Marko, Love the Logo, don't worry everyone loves New York, and remember "New York is the city where the future comes to rehearse". Ed Koch.

You know me Marko, Love the Logo, don't worry everyone loves New York, and remember "New York is the city where the future comes to rehearse". Ed Koch.

OK, done. Ordering stencils tomorrow. :) New York stays in the logo until I move... probably Brooklyn. :)

@TK I find it difficult to combine letter M with other in the logo, so I have to drop it.

@Salty. I love Wisconsin and Wisconsinites even if they don't like New Yorkers. I would cheer for Packers over NY Jets, but that is another story :)

Been to Duluth.
M

Latest posts

Back