i just about healed up.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
a couple of injury threads going..so i will participate with my own.

i got really dumb with a razor sharp hunting knife. really dumb. i just got back from a long multi-day turkey hunt. tired, hungry..sleepy. i notice a box arrived while i was gone. ripped it open with a knife..(survived injury so-far) and someone sent me a Ferro rod!! alrighty..free fire!!

this part, i get pretty predicable. i slip my shoes on, go out in the backyard..cut a piece of hemp rope, shred it all up to make a tinder nest..line up the ferro rod, put the hunt knife on it..pull it away..FIRST !#@$!@#$!@#$#@! pull, i didnt note that my thumb was still in the way. i didnt feel a thing! what i did notice was my flesh-fingerprint-pink sliver-hunk of meat left on the blade..***? i look at my thumb and it was a gusher.

being somewhat a self taught first aide guru at this point..i get it to stop bleeding and bandaged up. it took a while. i should have gone for stitches. i did this on April Fools day. fitting.

lesson learned. well, a lesson-reminder at least. anytime you are trying something NEW..be careful..go slow..maybe a practice swing or two.

sorry no pics. :) amazing how useful our thumbs are.. it's been a long slow 10 days.

Glad it's healing well. You can borrow a pic from me if you want:

IMG_1549.jpg

The gash looks too big for stitches; I think if you went to the ER they would have chemically cauterized it. Pretty crazy too see live flash turn ashy gray. I cut the corner off my thumb in a kitchen incident a long time ago, buy I still remember the pain. For awhile the movement of my blood made it hurt.

I was sharpening my knife after work last Friday and the knife slipped off the stone when I was gliding it towards myself and the heel jabbed into my finger tip. I didn't know so much blood could bleed out of a finger...

I had better experience - a 10$ Chinese cleaver can get screamingly sharp. So when it entered my finger 1/4 inch deep it was so sharp there was no pain and barely any blood.

Edit: Get better fast. All of you :)

Reminds me of my worst knife injury to date. I cut off a large, crescent sized chunk out of the nail my left ring finger, and also removed a decent chunk of flesh under the nail.

Incorrect bear claw, a piece of bell pepper that wouldn't stay flat on the cutting board, and the attempt to work quicker than my actual skills warranted with a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto were the factors that led to the mishap ...

Healed without visible or invisible damage, thank god.

Reminds me of my worst knife injury to date. I cut off a large, crescent sized chunk out of the nail my left ring finger, and also removed a decent chunk of flesh under the nail.

Incorrect bear claw, a piece of bell pepper that wouldn't stay flat on the cutting board, and the attempt to work quicker than my actual skills warranted with a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto were the factors that led to the mishap ...

Healed without visible or invisible damage, thank god.

You mean like this:

IMG_4981.jpgIMG_5013.jpg

Back