Scimitar/Cimeter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new knife to use for portioning steaks and flashing at the bbq. My yanagiba is not the perfect knife for this and my 240 gyuto is sometimes lacking some length. I've lately seen some scimitars being mentioned in some threads here and one can't deny that they look pretty darn bad ass! Not looking to spend a huge amount of money on a marko custom (even though I would love too) and neither a new ergonomic humbug version... Because of all this I've found some pretty sweet looking vintage carbon ones on the bay, I really want carbon and I have no problem with a little restoration in shape of some minor rust removal and handle upgrade. Any brands I should look closer at or any brand I should keep my hands off? Also lengthwise what's a good size for portioning some rib eye and similar sized items? Rather oversized than undersized since everyone knows a larger blade makes you look more bad ass posing in the mirror 😎😎

Vnox and a petty. All you need for to teach a cow some respect. The Vnox has a sort of decent western handle, is stainless and ls fairly inexpensive. ($30 ish when I bought it)

A friend rehandled it to Wa. There may have been drinking involved...

Cimitary%20and%20Marco%20Petty%20vs%20Cow.jpg

If you're looking on the bay, I highly suggest staying away from seller ralph1396. Straight up A-whole. Bad dealings with this loser, just saying. I normally never speak ill puff someone, but this guy is worth the warning.

That said,I found a very nice carbon 13" Dexter scimitar on the bay that I'm pretty excited about bringing back to full swing. Great price as well.

Cant find that henckels sadly but I'll keep looking! So Dexter Russell, foster bros, he clerks are all good brands for a vintage carbon cimeter? Any suggestion on length? Bigger is better (cooler)?

Daveb, how long is yours? Looks really short but might just be the huge handle :p

The handle on Dave's Scimi really isn't that big. It's actually pretty much scale to the factory POM handle. I've noticed the scimi handles run a little large as a whole.

Daveb, how long is yours? Looks really short but might just be the huge handle :p

It's a pretty available 12" Victorinox.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019WXOW4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The handle looks larger than it feels - it's quite comfotable now. Depending on what I'm cutting I use it with a hammer grip frequently. Prime rib roast, turning racks of ribs into "St. Louis" ribs, Zombies, anything thats big and needs to be small and while bones are avoided if they get in the way well....

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, small update, won the henckels 12" vintage carbon cimeter a few days ago and expecting it in the beginning of May. Plan is to knock of the old handle and clean up the blade and then try to make a new western handle in the style Marco dose (impossible?) haven't made a knife handle since I was in advanced woodworking class in high school though 😬 but how hard can it be? ;) will update with some pictures but don't hold your breath this one might take a while! All things I should think about are welcome! Have absolutely zero experience with this type of work since I started with knives half a year ago hehe we will see how it works out! Anyone knows about a good custom handle maker who's not mega expensive? (In case my tries are **** :p)

Back