I've had enough! Need a proper End Grain board ... help?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hereby grant you permission to crucify me ... I tried to be Uber cheap when it came to cutting boards. Tried to go the outlet/amazon/whatever route to get a cheap end grain board. First one cracked after 2 days, 2nd one came wobbly out of the box, replacement one smelled like rotten fish.

So here we go, I need a proper board! Please help ...

Specs:

Between 50x30 and 70x50 (any variation of sizes in between would work as well, such as 60x40)

I'd like your take on: Feet or no feet? If I want to leave the board out on the counter (after cleaning) feet are better, right?

And: Type of wood!

I read quite a bit about the type of wood and narrowed it down to maple, walnut and cherry. All I care about is which one is the most gentle on my precious, beloved knives ;)

by jon b's recommendation i got a hi-soft board, i absolutely love it and prefer the lack of maintenance to wood, and it's very reasonably priced.

I don't like feet as they minimize contact area (may not be a bad thing?) but preclude having a reversible board. I leave mine standing vertically to ensure even drying. Generally the softer wood the better if you are concerned about the knife's edge, look up elastic modulus, Janka hardness (similar to Rockwell for wood) if you want to get all engineering style. Hinoki is nice but can be difficult to find in desirable sizes and configurations (I only have edge grain), but smells nice too. I'm thinking of getting a custom made pine board but need to do more research first.

I have three board smith boards with feet--one each in maple, cherry, and walnut. Love them! Only drawback is they are fairly heavy so if you get a large size, understand they will weigh a lot. In our house, I get cleaning duty of the boards as they are heavy for my wife. All 3 if our boards stay out all the time. They look great and work great. I would say get what works in your budget and what you like, but if price no object I would say walnut and cherry as they look better to me than the maple, but they are all great. I also like having different woods as we use one for meats and we never confuse them.

I have three board smith boards with feet--one each in maple, cherry, and walnut. Love them! Only drawback is they are fairly heavy so if you get a large size, understand they will weigh a lot. In our house, I get cleaning duty of the boards as they are heavy for my wife. All 3 if our boards stay out all the time. They look great and work great. I would say get what works in your budget and what you like, but if price no object I would say walnut and cherry as they look better to me than the maple, but they are all great. I also like having different woods as we use one for meats and we never confuse them.

I would love to buy from BoardSmith, but I think that ship has sailed. Any alternatives?

I just bought an end grain board bij mtm wood in Russia nice prices

walnut 18 x 22. he had a few auctions when he started and i got a really good price...

www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com

Met the owner at a local artist/craft show in LA. I know what that sounds like, don't ask.

Although I didn't make a purchase, he seemed like a good guy. Makes multiple visits to California every so often. His boards were good quality. Comparable to my Boardsmith I own. If I couldn't get another Boardsmith, he would be close to the top of my list.

+1 for the hi-soft boards. They are also equally awesome for different reasons.

www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com

Met the owner at a local artist/craft show in LA. I know what that sounds like, don't ask.

Although I didn't make a purchase, he seemed like a good guy. Makes multiple visits to California every so often. His boards were good quality. Comparable to my Boardsmith I own. If I couldn't get another Boardsmith, he would be close to the top of my list.

+1 for the hi-soft boards. They are also equally awesome for different reasons.

Thanks!

I will pick up Hi-Soft at Korin tomorrow... And visit Brooklyn Butcher Blocks next week or so [emoji16]

If you want synthetic, go with Korin's hi-soft. Jon at JKI may also have some. Our NEW Boardsmith in Texas probably has some in the works now. I would contact him and see what's available.

Alterwisser, your inbox is full and you need to delete your old messages. Otherwise, you will not be able to receive private offers for unused Boardsmith boards from private forum members. Hint.

If you want synthetic, go with Korin's hi-soft. Jon at JKI may also have some. Our NEW Boardsmith in Texas probably has some in the works now. I would contact him and see what's available.

Alterwisser, your inbox is full and you need to delete your old messages. Otherwise, you will not be able to receive private offers for unused Boardsmith boards from private forum members. Hint.

It's emptied. Now [emoji6]

Sounds like you have had some bad luck with boards even more reason to get a quality one. When you say 70X50 you are talking cm. not inches. Look like some good suggestions here.

Back