Sheath for Gyuto 190mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_cat1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking forward to buy a gyuto from Echizen Marukatsu:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ehamono/item/as-s190/

For that, I want to buy a sheath for it too but too bad that all wooden sheaths I found so far only for 180mm gyuto or 210mm above. It is so strange that they make 190mm knives but no sheath for its size.

Anyone can tell me where I can buy the sheath for my knife? I can buy stuff from Japan so it is ok if you recommend me a Japanese shop which accept credit card.

Thanks you,
Quan

If they do not have one for that specific gyuto you are buying, you are better off making your own. Would be cheaper and probably less wait time

If they do not have one for that specific gyuto you are buying, you are better off making your own. Would be cheaper and probably less wait time

Well, I do not have skills and tools to do that though. Henckels Knife Guards is a choice but I like the wooden sheath and would love to have one. It is more like a personal taste.

I keep an assortment of the Korin knife covers around and use them for the knives (approx 1/2) that I don't have saya for.

http://korin.com/Korin-Knife-Guard?sc=27&category=17904511

If a saya is important you may want to expand your search to include knives with saya - though not many Western handled knives include them. A custom cover could easily be more expensive than the knife you've cited.

I keep an assortment of the Korin knife covers around and use them for the knives (approx 1/2) that I don't have saya for.

http://korin.com/Korin-Knife-Guard?sc=27&category=17904511

If a saya is important you may want to expand your search to include knives with saya - though not many Western handled knives include them. A custom cover could easily be more expensive than the knife you've cited.

Thank you Dave, I think I might go with the 210 one, don't really understand why they make a 190mm knife but not a saya for it. Maybe it's just a special case.

Knives come in all shapes & sizes. I have traced the knife blade on paper all the way to the handle. Also spine width at handle. Had saya made without having to send the knife.

It would cost almost as much as the knife itself to get a custom made.

You might want to try those clear plastic snap guards that cover the whole blade nothing pressing against the Damascus

Are there any tutorials or videos here on how to make your own saya? I might get the urge to make my own and it seems pretty straightforward, but photos and work in progress threads are very useful for visualizing what needs to be done at each step.

Also what materials are needed to make a decent saya? What thickness of wood for the outer scales or inner "rib?"?

Thanks

Knives come in all shapes & sizes. I have traced the knife blade on paper all the way to the handle. Also spine width at handle. Had saya made without having to send the knife.

It would cost almost as much as the knife itself to get a custom made.

You might want to try those clear plastic snap guards that cover the whole blade nothing pressing against the Damascus

Saya is nice, that's one of the reason and another reason is because I will store my gyuto in my cupboard separately from the other knives (I share kitchen with 3 housemates). Cleaning Saya is a drawback so I'm also considering to by a magnetic guard or projective knife guard. However the cost of Saya in Japan is much cheaper than in UK (£14 for the one I'm planning to order) and I think my Damascus deserves it :D

Just buy the larger generic size saya and use a small wood saw to cut some length off the back. Worked for me several times. 2 minute job.

Just buy the larger generic size saya and use a small wood saw to cut some length off the back. Worked for me several times. 2 minute job.

Agreed, made a 150 gyuto saya from a 180 and 90 parer from a petty. Most generic ones (at least what I've seen) aren't friction fit so you can re-drill the pin too. You may even be able to get away with a single cut depending on the emoto/neck length

Thank for the recommendation, I just found out that rakuten is selling Masamoto gyuto too, and there is one with 210mm blade which does not require me to have a custom saya for it. My only concern is I don't know about the steel of that CN series, the Echizen one made from VG-10 stainless steel which is very good.

Latest posts

Back