Gyuto under $350 in CAD?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Hey guys, been bit by the knife bug and am looking for recommendations for a 240mm Gyuto. Japanese handle, would like something a bit thicker than a laser, push cutting or chopping, pinch grip yada yada...

I currently have a 210mm Ashi Ginga, where my main complaints are the length and height as it is actually a bit shorter than 210, I would definitely prefer 240, and something with a bit more heft for chopping. There seems to be some difficulty in slicing things like onions with the tip of the knife, which may be due to it needing sharpening but stones are in the mail or just that is is so light I am not 100% sure.

My main requirement is I would prefer to get something from a maker, I like the personal conversations between the maker and customer. As much as I would love to support Jon, with current USD to CAD exchange rate, plus the fact I would be %100 dinged at the border with taxes it leaves most of his knives out of my price range. Something from Japan in yen usually results in an about 100:1 exchange rate or so making things rather reasonably priced.

I have been leaning towards a Heiji, but he hasn't replied to my emails in the last week so thats still up in the air a bit. Any other recommendations?

(Also I really am sorry for posting one of these, but I can promise I have read probably a hundred threads out there)

a Heiji isn't a bit thicker than a laser, it's a LOT thicker than a laser at the widest point. great knives anyway, and thin at the edge.

there are some less expensive Tanaka options, I think my R2 wa is a great knife though a bit out of your range. the blue damascus seems to be a winner though, at a more approachable price.

a Heiji isn't a bit thicker than a laser, it's a LOT thicker than a laser at the widest point. great knives anyway, and thin at the edge.

there are some less expensive Tanaka options, I think my R2 wa is a great knife though a bit out of your range. the blue damascus seems to be a winner though, at a more approachable price.

I was asking Heiji if he could make the knife somewhat thinner, as I had read about people doing that before, and I do not have too much experience with knives beforehand other than some old henckels and regular restaurant beater knives so I cannot say if I am against something wider or not. The Blue Damascus Tanaka was another option I was looking at, if only it would ever be in stock! :D

Where in Canada are you? Knifewear has their Garage sale end of the month, you might be able to get a killer bargain!

Did you check their websites for regular stuff? Or Tosho?

Watanabe makes great knives and he's super easy to communicate with via email. F&F sometimes a bit rough, but I have to say that I love the imperfections on my slicer. Only cosmetic and works like a charm.

Where in Canada are you? Knifewear has their Garage sale end of the month, you might be able to get a killer bargain!

Did you check their websites for regular stuff? Or Tosho?

Watanabe makes great knives and he's super easy to communicate with via email. F&F sometimes a bit rough, but I have to say that I love the imperfections on my slicer. Only cosmetic and works like a charm.

I live in Hamilton, so a ways away from out west. I have checked knifewear but didn't see too much to my liking online. As for Tosho I have been to their site but had a hard time navigating, I would like to check the store but it feels slightly intimidating being a student who isn't the most experienced with these things.

I live in Hamilton, so a ways away from out west. I have checked knifewear but didn't see too much to my liking online. As for Tosho I have been to their site but had a hard time navigating, I would like to check the store but it feels slightly intimidating being a student who isn't the most experienced with these things.
Don't be. The store has a very nice atmosphere and makes one feel relaxed. I recommend you go there next time you are in Toronto. Also they usually have bigger selection in-store than online.

Just don't panic if you do not see the store right away, it can be little tough to locate it. L:)

Don't be. The store has a very nice atmosphere and makes one feel relaxed. I recommend you go there next time you are in Toronto. Also they usually have bigger selection in-store than online.

Just don't panic if you do not see the store right away, it can be little tough to locate it. L:)

+1. Tosho's webpage dosen't show all the available knives. I was told that the site automatically marks an item out of stock when the stock is down to one, which means it could still be available for purchase at the store.

check out knife while you are in Toronto

they are both downtown ish

Back