Rader or Burke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeks1989

Reaction score
Hi the tittle says it all. I would love to hear from people who have handle knives from both makers.
Thanks Sam

:biggrin: Yeah sold a gun I had that was a safe queen. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the two makers mostly on Bills work.

That's a tough one. Both are great makers, in their own way. What knives do you have now?

Assuming you are comparing equal knives; monosteel; Burke has a slight edge for sure.
But if you go SanMai then Burke is superior, but this puts this blade north of $2K.

Worth noting Burke's wait list is 2 years plus unless you pick one off the shelf somewhere.

In my experience the perceived difference is personal. Unless you have one of these made to your specs, after you have played with several other knives and know exactly what you want, only then would the difference be noted or pronounced.

Michael Rader 210mm Carbon Damascus Gyuto
Marko AEB-L 175mm S grind gyuto with koa,mokume handle
Murray Carter 7.8 sun (9.3") gyuto
Delbert Ealy Damascus 240mm Gyuto (Sold)
Martell Wa-Nakiri 180mm
Gesshin Heiji 210mm Semi-Stainless Wa-Gyuto
Gesshin Kagekiyo 240mm Blue #1 Kiritsuke-Shaped (traded)
Suisin INOX Honyaki 240mm Wa Gyuto
sugimoto #6 Chuka Bocho
Hattori HD Santoku 170mm
Shun and German stuff also

Michael Rader 210mm Carbon Damascus Gyuto
Marko AEB-L 175mm S grind gyuto with koa,mokume handle
Murray Carter 7.8 sun (9.3") gyuto
Delbert Ealy Damascus 240mm Gyuto (Sold)
Martell Wa-Nakiri 180mm
Gesshin Heiji 210mm Semi-Stainless Wa-Gyuto
Gesshin Kagekiyo 240mm Blue #1 Kiritsuke-Shaped (traded)
Suisin INOX Honyaki 240mm Wa Gyuto
sugimoto #6 Chuka Bocho
Hattori HD Santoku 170mm
Shun and German stuff also

Seems you are missing a Burke then

Whenever I see the reference to Burke, I am reminded of a guy that I worked for, who was our Chairman, and a former president of Ford Europe. He gave me one of the best lines ever, useful in personnel challenges: "David, remember — trouble walks in on two feet..."

Whenever I see the reference to Burke, I am reminded of a guy that I worked for, who was our Chairman, and a former president of Ford Europe. He gave me one of the best lines ever, useful in personnel challenges: "David, remember — trouble walks in on two feet..."

What about a pissed off large cat?

if you already have a Rader (as indicated above) then go for a Burke. If you 'need it now' look at Epicurean Edge; if you can wait a year or two get on the waiting list.

When it's time I will probably get it off the b/s/t area. Thank you for letting me know ee has one.

If I'm not mistaken, Bill has some small experience in differential hardening/tempering of 52100 steel. I'd expect that this blade is going to be excellently heat treated, as well.

A differentially heat treated 52100 blade that Bill broke on purpose when I visited him had the smallest grain size I have ever seen in any knife , FWIW

Back