Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback, Pictures, Videos, whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    I don't know why apples are such a pita.
    My Martell gyuto just passed the jicama test with flying colors. I was able to split the jicama in two with little resistance and no sticking or stearing. I sliced the jicama very thinly with little sticking to the blade. Very nice.
    Good review. Thanks.

I actually did the same initially with a comparison to my kikuichimonji TKC and now that Dave will be putting a new edge on both the Martell and my TKC, it will serve for a very good comparison. The edge variable will be eliminated.

Strange that you mention the applies. They are one of my go-to tests also. I cut two large slabs off each side of the core, lay them flat and pull and push cut parallel to the cutting board (not down into it).

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the tip. I'm going to keep testing and get back to you with better feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Good review. Thanks.

I actually did the same initially with a comparison to my kikuichimonji TKC and now that Dave will be putting a new edge on both the Martell and my TKC, it will serve for a very good comparison. The edge variable will be eliminated.

Strange that you mention the applies. They are one of my go-to tests also. I cut two large slabs off each side of the core, lay them flat and pull and push cut parallel to the cutting board (not down into it).

k.
    I'm going to get more apples and try to use different techniques. I'm thinking about getting digital calipers so I can take some meaningful measurements too.

There has never been a better time to acquire digital calipers, they are inexpensive and accurate. Everyone should have a set!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I'm going to get more apples and try to use different techniques. I'm thinking about getting digital calipers so I can take some meaningful measurements too.
    In the next week I am going to be ordering a point-tip micrometer for mid-blade measurements.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Update: Just finished touching up both knives on a loaded balsa strop. Both push cut thermal receipt paper with ease. I like that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    What's the balsa loaded with?
    1 micron boron carbide. I think it's probably a little coarser than the finish you put on it. Wish I could afford some diamond spray

Obtuse,
    Thank you for posting your review.
    I am learning quite a bit from you guys.
    (about the different knives and proper use)

Dave,
    It is a beautiful knife and it sounds like it is a pleasure to use.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Today I was sharpening yanagiba. Since I had the kitayama out, I decided to give the Martell a few strokes. The knife feels really good on the stones and the O1 polished quickly. I deburred on felt and balsa strop. I don't think the knife really needed it, but I had fun. Maybe for kicks I'll strop on .5 Chromium oxide and see how that feels. Not really informative... but I thought you'd like to know I'm enjoying it. My point is.... On the stones it feels like a knife designed by someone who has sharpened a lot of knives.