photography forums

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm aware that a few members on here are photographers by trade (either past or present), as well as many members who are highly skilled in the hobby aspect. A very near and dear friend has just invested in a decent rig, after a couple years of getting by with cheaper gear for frivolous use. I've regaled him with my positive experiences on this forum, and mentioned that some of you cats were into cameras, and that I'd inquire as to what forums you frequent soooooo... What forums do you hang out on, and why?

I am far from knowledgeable or talented in that field, but I have hung around a few photo forums nevertheless. The interesting thing is how many parallels there are between the knife people and the photo people. My two main conclusions: A person with mediocre equipment bit a good skill set will fare much better than a person who focuses too much on the gear - and most of the discussions on the forums are around the gear rather than the skills... That said, there is photo.net which is huge and can be a bit overwhelming. I like fredmiranda.com. And then it depends a little bit - there will be forums specific to his brand of gear that might be helpful, and several forums have a focus on certain types of photography like landscape, macro, portrait etc. Not sure this helps much...

Stefan

pentaxforums

I believe the owner started a Nikon forum last year that is similar.

I like the Pentax forum because it is both brand-specific -- which is good for equipment B/S/T, tips 'n' tricks, etc. -- and also so some good general photography subforums. (and of course I have a couple Pentax dSLRs, which keeps it all very relevent for me)

well I got banned off both RFF and Fred Miranda. Basically, the fanatical Fuji owners shitposting all over the place non-stop in combination with a somewhat combative personality created some difficulties between me and the mod staffs at those places.

I dont think KKF and those places are the same at all. I like this place, Im not a fan of photo forums.

I dont think KKF and those places are the same at all. I like this place, Im not a fan of photo forums.

I agree, what I wanted to express was that in both you find those who are more gear-minded and those who are more focused on use. And there are 'brand-hounds' in both, but much much worse in the photo scene...

Stefan

Yeah, I primarily thought to ask you gang as this is one of the easiest going forums I've yet to experience in terms of general manners, and sharing knowledge. Was hoping perhaps you guys could turn my buddy onto a forum that shared some of those characteristics. I know this place is a bit unique in certain aspects, but there must be a reasonably palatable version for photo geeks. He just bought a Nikon btw, if that helps at all.

Yeah, I primarily thought to ask you gang as this is one of the easiest going forums I've yet to experience in terms of general manners, and sharing knowledge. Was hoping perhaps you guys could turn my buddy onto a forum that shared some of those characteristics. I know this place is a bit unique in certain aspects, but there must be a reasonably palatable version for photo geeks. He just bought a Nikon btw, if that helps at all.

not that I know of.

most of the talent left the forums IMO. too little respect for it, too little respect for equipment people can't afford, and when money is involved (ie pro photogs) it's a zero sum game.

again, this is all IMO, but the fundamental reason underneath all of that is that photo forums promote the democratization of talent. but I mean that in the sense that everyone thinks they have something worth saying about the art & the person that are attracted by that platform to express their ignorant opinions use that to step into the technical side of the discussion which is where quant people who actually know **** operate and I know personally I cant stand when someone tries to sell me some fantasy bull**** about their camera when they've never even touched something I would consider to be on the low end of good.

I aint saying that I have some deep insight into photography as an art forum btw. just my observations.

Not a fan of forum communities in general. :zippedshut:

APUG (Analog Photography Users Group).

If you're using film, this.

Back