Quantcast
Dangers of the BGE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of the BGE

Dangers of the BGE

Yesterday I cooked a New York strip on the BGE. I let it come up to temp, and when I looked the gauge was pegged above 750º F. I burped the lid a couple of times and tossed the meat in for 2 minutes, did the same and another 2, then closed the vents for the final 2. By now the gauge was down to 550 or 600 ish, and did the double burp as usual. When the lid came up the gout of flame that emerged was legendary! The smell if burning hair hung in the air like a wet dog blanket. I was able to retrieve the meat with minimal damage to myself, butt will exercise extra caution next time the needle passes 750.
    The steak was nicely seared and juicy, on the rare side of medium, very tender. The little left over made a nice sammy just now!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I Wish I could afford one

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I Wish I could afford one
    A friend of mine just bought one from a neighbor of his that was moving away. Large egg with stand and wings, $20.00.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    A friend of mine just bought one from a neighbor of his that was moving away. Large egg with stand and wings, $20.00.
    Even if you forgot a zero that would still be the most incredible deal I've ever heard of. How?!? Why??!? Certainly the guy knew what the Egg was worth when he bought it!

Evidently it was given to him, and he did not know what it was worth. He just knew how heavy it was and didn't want to move it!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Absurd, that price!

And congrats on the steak, a few burns are no biggie. Hair grows back, you remember a great steak forever.

Sounds like a perfect steak to me!

-AJ

All you need is a hair dryer and you could probably heat treat in one of those things.

I've always thought being a Chief must must similar to being a blacksmith in terms of concentration on what your doing and occasional loss of eyebrows.