Fairly new to industry cook w. knife Q's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmacs

Reaction score
Hello.
Looking at a Mac Chef Series 7 1/4" Chef Knife today.
I need to know if mineral oil is mineral oil or if I need fancy knife and blade oil.
Also is there a more affordable version of a BooS Block?

Thanks in advance.

Do you want the mineral oil for the board or the knife? I don't see how you would need it for a Mac. Regardless mineral means food grade mineral. For a new wood board apply mineral repeatedly, then something like this.
http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Cutting-Board-Block-Wax-p/bw1.htm What sort of place are you cooking that you need to provide your own cutting board? Health departments in the United States, asfaik, frown upon wood cutting boards in commercial kitchens.

As for the knife I have not used a Mac Pro. If you are cooking on a line with limited space and not too much prep work, you may be able to get by with a knife of that size. If not, I would buy a 10 inch knife because you can work a lot faster with one.

Currently I am training in pastry.
The knife is not for work, it is for home cooking.
I have a longer knife and a few crappy ones this size. I just prefer the shorter knives.
I believe the Mac is high carbon steel, the food grade oil is for keeping the blade from rusting in storage, a small amount on the blade.
Sort of like you would do with cast iron.
I read it keeps them nice longer.

The Mac Chef Series is a stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back