Quantcast
Shaping handles:Tool recommendations - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaping handles:Tool recommendations

Nice. There is an old Rockwell that looks like that sitting in my late uncle's garage in Ohio, I have to figure out how to get it, a micro-mill, lathe and anvil down to Florida in a 3 series BMW. No substitute for those old bulletproof American machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Marko, do you mean a drill press like this?

Marko, do you mean a drill press like this?
    that's a lowly old Walker Turner or Delta. It's missing cover (not essential, as long as you don't try to change belt as the press is running) and could use some lubrication and some scrubbing with Scotch-Brite pads and WD40 but ultimately, it is a fine press. Looks like you can get easily a few more decades of service out of it.

I traded my landlord a Walker Turner for some improvement work, but have not time to work on it.
    M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

You're bang on, Marko! It's an old Walker-Turner. Har any of you guys had any trouble finding replacement parts for old presses like this one? I'm likely going to "upgrade" to it very shortly, assuming it drills true.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

You're bang on, Marko! It's an old Walker-Turner. Har any of you guys had any trouble finding replacement parts for old presses like this one? I'm likely going to "upgrade" to it very shortly, assuming it drills true.
    I think Dave rebuilt his, so he can chime on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if all you need is just cleaning, scrubbing and lubrication.

M

It's really a beauty, and it just feels right!
    Thanks for the input.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Man, I wish I had the old German drill press that was in my Grandfather's metal shop. That must have been from the 50's, was huge and indestructible. I think my Dad gave it away

One more small hand tool I really like, the Japanese shinto rasps: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=12881 - Affordable and effective with a rougher and a finer side.

Stefan

I have the predecessor to this model, it uses a motor mounted on the base with a long ass drive belt and only two pulley speeds to chose from. I did rebuild it, well somewhat, cleaned it up more than anything. The biggest problem I had was finding a replacement key for the chuck since the model Jacobs chuck used hasn't been in production for 60 years. I got lucky and found a reference on an old tools forum to a Jacobs key part# that would work that MSC carries and there ya go.

Most of the parts that go bad in this smaller presses of this era are bronze bushings which can be replaced but I've read that some of them are oddball sizes requiring machining. My press has brass grease caps for lubrication that have to be filled every week at least or bushings run dry so maintenance with the old presses is important.

Here's mine. My dad got it back in the 40's.

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Here's mine. My dad got it back in the 40's.

I love your mini-rolling mill

If you are a jeweler it's not a mini!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread