New Handle for Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I haven't tried a handle in a while. Decided to use some lacewood that had been in the basement for a few years from a countertop project my father in law had done for me. He had the good sense to return the wood from the sink hole to me. Seemed useless at the time but can be used for a few fun projects now.
Apologies for a weak WIP.
I stabilized the wood. Used white spacers, blue avonite and white corian for the partial ferrule.
My recent Toyama Noborikoi seemed like a good candidate.
Let me know what you think. The good and the bad please.
cheers
-Andre

T1_zpsv0lppvzr.jpg

T3_zpsdwjmx8l7.jpg

T4_zpsvfpeotkt.jpg

T5_zpsvvry6ebx.jpg

T9_zps2xd18r4n.jpg

T8_zpsv1pp1spv.jpg

T6_zps1cq4ngnd.jpg

T7_zpsz5rby7kd.jpg

It's a "solid surface" type material. Often used in countertops. I think the one i used is a polyester resin which can look translucent.
..Avonite is brand name, like Corian

looks great, love the unique grain in that wood

You have skills Andre. Nice to see you posting again.

Many thanks for the comments y'all. Life happens sometimes, but It's good to be back.
Took a lot of trying to imagine something that goes with lacewood. I came up with "blue and white", hoping the new age looking blue stuff wouldn't look too hokey. I find the hues in the wood "pre-polish" to be more interesting, although I'm diggin' the final leathery looking texture as well.
I'm teetering on it being too gilded.
Curious to hear from those who may find it to be too much

Nice handle! Mine 240mm Toyama is set to arrive today and I will probably consider rehandling it down the road.

Back